Campus Celebrity: Lyndsey Mull

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Lyndsey Mull is a Southern California native who is a member of the Cross Country and Track team here at LMU. She fell in love with long distance running 7 years ago and has been pursuing her dreams ever since. She is addicted to coffee and loves spending a little time with her toes in the sand. She is a fun-loving college student with the strength and determination that will take her far in life (pun intended).

Why are you so passionate about running?

“I’ve been running since I started high school and immediately fell in love with the sport. It’s unique because it is both a team and individual sport, which I love. Some of my best friends are girls that I’ve ran thousands of miles with. I love the way running challenges me both physically and even more so mentally. It is mentally challenging because it is so physically hard on the body. It is not a comfortable sport and during races and workouts I push myself as hard as I can.” 

What motivates you to wake up everyday to run?

“Everything that you put into distance running you get back. I know that if I miss a run or training session, it will set me back.  I have big goals (qualify for regionals in track, qualify for nationals as a team in XC) and I know how much work those dreams take. Goal setting and big dreams have been instilled in me from the start of my athletic career. When you have a dream that ignites your heart, obstacles burn in the pursuit of passion. It’s really not a question to skip a run for me no matter how I am feeling on a particular day.”

What are your goals for the near future in running?

“My biggest goal this year is to enjoy the sport. I have been through some of the worst injuries and am finally recovering. Ultimately I want to qualify for the NCAA Regional meet this spring but I want to enjoy the journey while I’m at it. Being part of a Division 1 NCAA team is a privilege and I want to savor every minute of it while I can.”

How has running impacted your life?

“The bigger question is how has running not impacted my life. My entire schedule revolves around my training (when to wake up for 7 am practice, when to eat, when to take classes, when to go on vacations, hang out with friends, when to go to bed). I have always been a very driven athlete and my sport comes first for me. The determination and work ethic carries over to other parts of my life such as school and career goals. I know that I will continue to be active in the future; I will be running for the rest of my life.”Â