Wellness > Health

Cold Remedies You Should Always Have While Living in a Dorm 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

I am the queen of being sick. Truly I have suffered all illnesses. Being sick at college, especially away from home, stinks. But I am here to give you all of the best cold remedies and medications that you will ever need at college. I have tried so many different medicines and treatments and I am here to tell you what works the best. 

First, Tylenol Sinus Severe/ Tylenol for Cold and Flu is the best thing you can invest in. I have tried the Advil for Cold and Flu and it doesn’t work as well. When you are so stuffed up and need something to clear your sinus pressure and stuffed-up nose, this specific Tylenol works wonders. It’s a pill that is minty and it really tastes so good. I take it when I first wake up and then again when I go to bed. That way I don’t wake up super stuffed and if I take it first thing in the morning, I will be set for the rest of the day. 

I know it sounds funny but Vicks Vapor Rub is amazing.  If you put it on your chest and under your nose.  It clears everything up.  The smell is so strong that it automatically opens up your face.  Also, take a hot shower.  Sit in the hot shower with the steam.  This will help clear your chest and it is extremely natural to do.  A hot shower always makes me feel better when I am sick.

Tea and honey.  If your throat hurts, making tea is super soothing.  Of course, cough drops do something similar.  But, having a hot drink soothes your throat.  Honey is a really great addition because it may be able to reduce symptoms of an upper respiratory tract infection.  Tea is always good on a cold day or when you’re sick, but adding honey will just make you feel better.

My last suggestion is Flonase.  Always read the directions on the back of the bottle: use it once a day.  I always use it when I wake up so I can get instant relief.  TMI, but it will make your nose run.  It will feel gross being all snotty, but in the long run, you will feel much better.  It starts to clear up your nose, which ultimately unstuffs your face and eradicates sinus pressure, sinus headaches, etc.  I live by Flonase.

Of course, always read the back of the medications you use and even check with your doctor.  You want to make sure the medication you are using is the right medicine for you.  Having a cold really stinks: it makes you feel horrible and not want to do anything.  You aren’t sick enough to stay home, but you aren’t well enough to be yourself.  These are cold remedies that I use that help me!

Emily Gianni

Manhattan '24

Hi I'm Emily! I am in my Senior Year at Manhattan College, graduating in Spring 2024. I am studying Childhood Special Education with an upward extension to middle school with a double major in English. My goal in life is to teach elementary school and later on, teach middle school. Although I don't have a position in my Her Campus chapter, I am still an active writer for Her Campus! I write about all different topics for Her Campus, anything that interests me or that I believe other girls will find useful and informational. I am a team captain on the Manhattan College cheerleading team, so I may write about that sometimes. I also love sorority rush season so I have written about my sorority a few times. I believe that Her Campus is an amazing source for women to put their work out there and influence other girls. I love being a part of this organization and being able to write about whatever I love. This is the best outlet for me to learn more about my writing style, experiment with different topics that I would not be allowed to write about in a class, and grow as a writer.