A Guide to Fall Reading: Some Books to Get You Into the Fall Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

Fall is the season of crisp weather, colorful leaves, and comfort. While the cool weather and shorter days may be forcing some of us indoors, they also provide the perfect excuse to embrace the allure of curling up with a cozy book and a hot pumpkin-flavored drink. If you are not sure where to start when looking for books to pick up this season, I have compiled a list of four of my favorites that are sure to immerse you in all the fall vibes!Ā 

1. The Secret History by Donna TarttĀ 

Donna Tarttā€™s debut novel follows a closely-knit group of students at an elite New England college. It explores their increasing fascination with the world of Ancient Greece, which, in combination with a cast of morally grey characters, leads them to test the boundaries of their morality. Delving into corruption, murder, and betrayal, The Secret History tells a truly engaging story, and immerses readers into a dark, fall atmosphere at New England, making it one of my top fall read picks.Ā 

2. If We Were Villains by M.L. RioĀ 

Like The Secret History, this book has a dark, academic setting. If We Were Villians follows a group of theatre students who are met with an unexpected tragedy at the beginning of their fall semester. At the beginning of the novel, readers are introduced to Oliver Marks, who has just been released from prison. As the story unfolds, readers will wind through a twisted, unpredictable plot as more about the tragedy is revealed and Oliverā€™s alleged guilt becomes more and more uncertain. Rich in themes of mystery and romance coupled with Shakespearean allusions, If We Were Villains is a riveting read with a shocking twist you will never see coming.Ā 

3. We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley JacksonĀ 

We Have Always Lived in the Castle is a gothic, peculiar story, centered around a girl named Merricat Blackwood. A dark family secret has turned the village against the Blackwoods, who lived happily in isolation until their cousin Charles arrived. Now, everything Merricat has spent her life carefully protecting is threatened. Creepy, atmospheric, and addictive, We Have Always Lived in the Castle is a mesmerizing read that embraces everything spooky about the fall season.Ā 

4. The Maidens by Alex MichaelidesĀ 

By the same author as the widely acclaimed novel The Silent Patient, this book follows Mariana, a therapist who travels to Cambridge to investigate a mysterious string of murders after the death of a friend of her niece, Zoey. Set on a backdrop of the idyllic Cambridge University campus, The Maidens is a dark, mysterious read, echoing the elements of elite societies and classical mythology found in The Secret History. Brimming with mystery and suspense, this book is a dark page-turner and another atmospheric read.Ā 

With something for every reader, these books capture the essence of fall and the dark academic aesthetics of the season. If you choose to pick up one of these books as a break from midterm studying or to pair with a cozy evening, I hope you enjoy these fall picks!Ā 

Lucy Moreira

McMaster '27

Lucy Moreira is a first year Arts and Science student and a part-time writer at the Her Campus at McMaster chapter. Beyond Her Campus, Lucy has written articles for a non-profit about a range of social issues, and she is excited to share her passion for writing with her peers. In her free time, Lucy enjoys reading and baking, and listening to music!