This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

In the end, science may explain how the world works, but it’s art that reminds us why it matters.

Some find fulfillment in the poetry of love and art, while others find comfort in the logic of science and inquiry. These two forces, art and science, are the most powerful expressions of human creativity, seemingly at odds but forever intertwined in a delicate dance. One engages the head, grounded in reason and evidence, while the other nurtures the heart, offering beauty and meaning. Together, they help us make sense of our world, each deepening our understanding in different ways over time.

Science and art are not rivals but partners in a conversation as old as humanity itself. 

One may extend the body’s limits, while the other feeds the soul. They both evoke emotions and sensations that aren’t always understood by the other. The majesty of science—its achievements, discoveries, and advancements—holds a certain prestige that art can’t replicate. Scientific progress is rooted in verifiable facts, rigour, and objectivity, offering universal truths that transcend personal emotions. It’s this association with knowledge beyond human comprehension that makes science feel so vast and nearly intimidating.

Take space exploration as an example: the discoveries we’ve made about the solar system, the laws of physics, and the endless mysteries of the universe are awe-inspiring. These are concrete achievements, universal in their understanding. Yet when films like Interstellar translate these scientific marvels into emotional experiences, art gives us the ability to feel connected to something so vast. Science explains the natural world, while art is the soul’s response to it. Both realms are essential, yet they stand in stark contrast to one another.

Art taps into the deepest parts of ourselves—our emotions, desires, and dreams. Through music, literature, and architecture, we’re able to express feelings that science can’t quantify. Art celebrates the complexities of love, sorrow, and joy in a way that transcends words. It is the rich, overwhelming emotions that give life depth and meaning, awakening intangible forces that science alone can’t touch. To feel deeply, to immerse ourselves in art, is to surrender to the most intimate parts of being human.

Now, imagine a world without art—a world where the expression of the soul is stifled. Even with the most ground-breaking scientific advancements, life in such a world would feel cold and empty. Art brings life and warmth to the products of science, making our existence rich with purpose. Without art, the achievements of science would lack the meaning that makes them valuable to us.

There’s a theory that in the final seven minutes of brain activity after death, we relive the most important memories of our lives. This, perhaps, is one of the most beautiful intersections of science and art: the biological processes of life and death take over while our minds replay the moments of love and connection that define us. It’s a poignant reminder that both the tangible and the emotional are central to the human experience, remaining significant until our final breath.

Science and art aren’t competing for importance—they are in conversation. Both lead us to different realizations: science reveals universal truths, while art illuminates the personal. Science explains the world around us, but art helps us understand how to live within it. Together, they allow us to experience life in all its fullness—science as the pulse of our existence and art as the soul of that pulse.

Suhavi Bajwa

McMaster '27

Hiii, my name is Suhavi and I am an English major at McMaster University! The goal is law school in the big city (I live on a farm, and as cute as the chickens can be, I love the endless buzz of the city!). I'm so excited to be a part of the HerCampus community as a writer!