What’s new in the Fitness Center?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Merrimack chapter.

You may have already noticed that the fitness center here on campus has received a much-needed face lift over the summer. There is a whole new layout, brand new equipment, and even a new way to check in and out of the gym. But, did you also realize the fitness center has a whole new lineup of group exercise classes? Taking a group exercise class is the best way to make sure you are getting a safe, effective, and fun workout, but students have been disappointed in the lack of variety of the classed for the last three years.

Matt Gordon, the new Director of Campus Fitness and Recreation, worked with the fitness instructors on campus to ramp up the schedule for the 2013-2014 year. This has resulted in an increase in cost to students. Classes went from from costing nothing, to costing $20 per semester. Many students are unhappy about this increase, however, this $20 fee covers any and all of the 21 classes offered each week- more than triple the amount of classes offered to students in previous years. Passes can be purchased at the front desk of the fitness center between 9 AM and 5 PM.

Take a closer look into some of the classes offered here on campus and find the class that is right for you:

Kickboxing: This class is a high-impact, high energy workout that combines cardio and some strength training. True kickboxing is a contact sport, but in the exercise class, there is no partner and no bag. You can expect an intense aerobic workout with moves from the sport like punching and kicking, as well as strength training steps such as squats, push ups, and planks. This class is offered at Merrimack three times per week.

Zumba®: Zumba® is a full-body, high energy cardio workout that combines elements of dance and fitness into one easy-to-follow workout program. Zumba® prides itself in being the most fun cardio workout that exists today, claiming students will feel like they are partying, not working out. This doesn’t mean it isn’t effective- participants will burn up to 1000 calories in just one hour of Zumba®. It’s a great way to let loose, forget about stress, and get a great workout. Three instructors offer six Zumba® classes per week at Merrimack, and each one is a little different from the others!

Barre: The fastest growing fitness craze, Barre combines elements from ballet, Pilates, and athletic conditioning to tone, firm, and strengthen the entire body. The class is structured around use of the ballet barre, handheld weights, and exercises on the mat to make sure no muscle group is missed. Absolutely no dance experience is necessary for this class. Barre is offered twice a week in the fitness center.

Yoga: The ultimate class for control and relaxation, Yoga combines breathing methods, meditation, and changing of body positions to discipline the body and mind. Yoga is one of the most popular group exercise classes in existence. Choose between Yoga, relaxation Yoga, and power Yoga. Merrimack offers 4 Yoga classes per week.

Abs: Abs class uses vertical and horizontal exercises to strengthen the entire core. More than just sit-ups and planks, Abs class utilizes a wide variety of exercises to keep participants interested and engaged. Just a half hour is enough to get an excellent core-strengthening workout in. Abs classes are offered in half-hour sessions twice a week.

Xfit: Practiced by members of the military and police officers across the country, Xfit uses body weight and weightlifting exercises as well as cardiovascular aerobic exercises to provide a complete, intense, full-body workout. Xfit trainers demand all-out physical exertion, leaving participants feeling accomplished and energized when finished. Xfit is offered three times per week at Merrimack.

Boot Camp: Boot Camp is one of the oldest and most popular group exercise classes. As the name implies, this class is meant to mimic military-style conditioning to improve strength and endurance. Each boot camp is a little different, but many combine body weight exercises, weight training, and cardiovascular exercises. Boot camp is offered twice a week at Merrimack.

Â