This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

IĀ believe music can bring anyone together, and to broaden your musical horizons, I have set out on a decade journey. Our first decade can only be described as neon, big hair and more neon. Thankfully we wonā€™t be exploring that side of the ā€˜80s, but rather the wonderful music that came out of it. Let’s begin, shall we? Donā€™t worry though, where we are going we donā€™t need roads.

Love My Way – Psychedelic FursĀ 

My all time favorite song of the ā€˜80s came out in 1982 and blessed us all with its, shall we say, psychedelic tune. Itā€™s featured in the movie Call Me By Your Name, a movie I cherish deeply, and therefore deserves 1st place on my list. Give it a listen, you just might love it too.

Under Pressure – Queen, David Bowie

My favorite song by Queen is Under Pressure feat.Ā David Bowie. This song shows the power of music and makes me feel like I can do anything. This beat will surely get you groovinā€™.

Give It Up – KC and the Sunshine Band

This is another song that really gets me in the mood to smile and just boogie the day away. Itā€™s an amazing upbeat song with wonderful opportunities to sing along.

If You Leave – Orchestral Manoeuvres In The DarkĀ 

I hear this song and I feel like I am in a cheesy ā€˜80s rom-com. As if Iā€™m the leading lady waiting for my guy to realize Iā€™m the one. Listen to this song and think about where it takes you.

Africa – Toto

This song is a true classic and deserves a proper place on this list. When I hear it I just want to yell the lyrics, even if itā€™s just to myself. Thatā€™s how much of a bop this song is.

You Canā€™t Hurry Love – Phil Collins

Phil Collins is a beautiful singer and it really shows in this song. Not only do the lyrics speak truth about love, but the tune could brighten anyoneā€™s day.

All Night Long – Lionel Richie

When I hear this song I just want to close my eyes and sway to the beat, but let’s not forget about yelling the lyrics for all to hear. Lionel speaks for us all when he sings about dancing all night long.

The Look of Love – ABC

With a wonderful variety of instruments in this song itā€™s truly hard to not love this song. I just love ABCā€™s style of music and I hope you do too.

The Longest Time – Billy Joel

How could Billy Joel not be on this list? Thatā€™s why my favorite Billy song is shining bright in 9th place. With a happy sing-song tune and the voice of an angel, The Longest Time is a classic.

Everybody Wants To Rule The World – Tears For Fears

I picture myself in the car with the windows down singing this song with my dad and I canā€™t help but smile. All worries drift away and thatā€™s why I love this song.

IĀ hope these songs transported you somewhere that made you happy and carefree, as they do for me. Maybe youā€™ll even start your own ā€˜80s playlist and add a few to the collection. Thanks for coming on this journey with me and Iā€™ll see you in another decade soon.

HCXO, Devon

Devon Lewars

Millersville '22

Hi I'm Devon!!! I am a history major with a double minor in Theatre and Archaeology and I live in an apartment with my bff Hannah. I love compiling playlists on Spotify, watching period dramas, and spending all of my money. Yep, that's it. LGBTQ+ <3
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3