international student?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
international student?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Zen Chung Via Unsplash
Style > Fashion

Bags: Balancing beauty and business

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Shoulder bags, backpacks, purses, and tote bags can be used strictly for functionality, but they often compliment outfits and add to our personalities. What bags could you carry around campus for functionality, fashion, and business?  

I have always been a lover of bags, in fact, to this day I carry an unnecessary amount of stuff with me in cute bags. I attribute my love for bags beginning in middle school, when everyone had to have a Vera Bradly backpack or lunch bag. Even though it was trendy to participate in purchasing a Vera Bradley item, going to the store and scanning all the patterns felt like I was picking an item that was going to communicate something about myself to the world.  

Like many items in fashion, bags can be seen as a staple to one’s personality, expressing their interests and ultimately what they would like to communicate through fashion and accessorizing. 

Purses and handbags have always played a crucial role in the fashion world. Especially with being in college, it’s not the same as it used to be: in high school, many of us would search for a backpack that suited our practical needs and had some type of longevity. I think that college allows a newfound freedom through a sense of expression in the different types of bags one carries around. 

Here are a few types of bags to consider for your daily travels and adventures to be used for business and beauty if you’re looking to spice up your regular bag rotation. 

1.Longchamp bags  

There has been a sudden resurgence of the early 2000s favorite Longchamp tote bags and purses. I have seen these tote bags left and right around campus. I decided to ask a Michigan State University student why she adored the bag, and she gushed about how it provided her a lot of space to store her materials for class and was comfortable to walk around campus with. Not to mention, it’s a cutie. The original Longchamp bags are quite expensive, however you can find a good “dupe” on Amazon for a reasonable price, and we can always hope to score something at the thrift. 

2. Satchel 

Another type of bag to carry around that I have been wanting for a while, and I think would be perfect for the fall, is a satchel. A satchel gives the feels of truly embracing fall and wanting to be in a dark academia novel, and I’m here for it. 

3. Any cute little tote bag 

I think that a tote bag is a must have item for a college student. If you’re anything like me, I get tired of carrying around my backpack once classes are over, and I feel that a tote bag does just the trick. They are relatively inexpensive, and can have so much creative freedom whether you decide to paint a design or craft one. A tote bag is a go-to option for a reason, and it should stay in the bag rotation! 

4. Vintage coach  

Whether you decide to thrift or go to the Coach website, getting a bigger Coach bag (specifically a Coach Ergo) is a great option to fit all your items. It can be a little on the pricier side, although I think that it can be worth it. Coach bags are known for their longevity as well as being a classic in the fashion world. 

Just like jewelry, shoes, and clothing, bags can be used in fashion as a means of expression. If you decide to make one of these bags your next purchase, or decide to take the time to further personalize your own bags by adding charms and crafting on them, what you carry around on your shoulders can be an additional fashion piece and communicator of your own personality. 

Autumn is a Sophomore at Michigan State University studying Communication Leadership and Strategy. Passionate about visual storytelling, and many forms of writing ranging from academic to creative. Autumn is a lover of many different types of media, and hopes to work for some type of publication, being involved with creative production and storytelling after graduation. In her free time, Autumn loves to hang out with loved ones, listen to music, read, craft and crochet.