Picture of baked goods from voodoo donuts in Orlando, Florida at universal city walk
Original photo by Phebe Jones

Dining Out For Doughnuts Can Be Simple – Even With Allergies

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Whether at home or on vacation, living with dietary restrictions can put a damper on dining out as a family, especially when it comes to breakfast foods or desserts. Between eggs, dairy, and gluten, it can be hard to find a place where nobody has to compromise their dietary wants and needs. Look no further than Voodoo Doughnuts. This establishment offers a multitude of classics and specialities to try, so it may be hard to pick just one. This is why I tried four different options the last time I went!

Vegan Voodoo Doll  

This doughnut comes in both the vegan and regular options for those without dietary restrictions. The ingredients are different, but the flavor profiles are the same. Both options are filled with a blood red raspberry jelly, topped with chocolate frosting, and stabbed with a pretzel stake. Every one of these has a different face and design of the doll on the top to give the consumer a unique experience. It is perfect for those that love Halloween or chocolate and raspberry flavors. 

Memphis Mafia Fritter  

As indicated by the name, this pastry is technically not a doughnut. As is typical of a fritter, the dough was significantly more dense. However, the flavor combination makes up for the density of the cake, as it is similar to the flavor profile of chunky monkey pancakes. The fritter itself is filled with banana and cinnamon before being covered with glaze, chocolate drizzle, peanuts, chocolate chips, and peanut butter drizzle. As a lover of peanut butter cups, this was one of my favorite treats of the trip. 

Vegan Dirt Cake 

There is a non-vegan option for this selection as well. Both are similar to the parameters of the Voodoo Doll; they are made with different ingredients but intended to have the same flavor profile. This cookies and cream doughnut is perfect for all Oreo lovers. In my opinion, I could not taste any differences between this and the regular Dirt Cake. Both tasted phenomenal.

Grape Ape

While I am not the biggest fan of anything grape flavored, the lavender sprinkles on this doughnut sparked my curiosity. The vanilla, lavender, and grape flavors together ended up making this doughnut delightful. I was expecting the punch of artificial grape flavor, but instead was pleasantly surprised by a light and subtle flavor with a lilac hue. This treat was aesthetically pleasing as well as delicious. 

Voodoo Doughnuts was opened in the early 2000’s in Portland, Oregon and has since spread to several locations across the country. One notable location is at Universal CityWalk Orlando. This area is outside both Universal Studios Florida and Universal’s Islands of Adventure. Transportation from any resort properties is free via the bus system and takes you directly to security to enter the giant strip mall. In addition to this shop, you can find stores carrying items from your favorite franchises (such as Harry Potter), mini golf, a Hard Rock Cafe, and other exciting experiences for the whole family. 

Other than the delicious doughnuts that can be enjoyed in the park or taken to go in their signature pink boxes, there is a perfect photo opportunity just outside in the doughnut throne! It can be taken as an individual or as a group, as the throne has many places to sit. I cannot wait to go back and try more of the unique pastries offered by this company! It is incredible that they are so consistent in their flavors despite the difference in ingredients. It is a major reason I would highly recommend stopping by even if you just get one pastry to share. Everyone can find something to enjoy. 

Phebe Jones is the Treasurer for Her Campus at MSU. Jones is a senior studying biochemistry as well as molecular genetics. Jones has published many times by local libraries for summer writing contests. She doesn't write often in her majors and wants to keep in enjoying one of her favorite activities. In her free time, Jones enjoys: reading, videogames, horror movies, listening to music, and cartoons.