Why do sequels and reboots have our hearts?

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

In a world of endless content, why do we keep coming back to the stories that we already know?

Whether it’s through sprawling franchises or modern reboots, we seem to have a collective love for revisiting familiar films. 

One of the biggest reasons we love revisiting movies is the powerful pull of nostalgia. Movies are often tied to key moments in our lives — childhood favorites, teen obsessions, or the first time we were wowed by cute characters. Watching a reboot or a sequel taps into those memories, creating a sense of comfort and connection to the past. 

Franchises like “Star Wars”, “Jurassic Park,” and the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) are perfect examples. Fans who grew up with these films feel a sense of attachment, and revisiting these worlds can evoke the same excitement and wonder we felt the first time around. Reboots give us a chance to relive those moments, but with a fresh take that introduces new generations to the magic. But it’s not just about looking back — revisiting old favorites with new technology is thrilling in its own right. Enhanced special effects, better CGI, and improved production quality can elevate the story, adding a visual depth that wasn’t possible when the original was made. What you loved before still exists, but now it’s glossier, shinier, and grander. “Jurassic World,” for instance, brought dinosaurs to life in ways the original “Jurassic Park” couldn’t while staying true to the heart of the original installments.

Another reason we’re drawn to franchises and reboots is our deep emotional attachment to certain characters. We grow attached to characters we identify with or aspire to be like. Whether it’s the noble superhero, the rebellious underdog, or the wise mentor, these characters become touchstones in our lives. They provide a sense of familiarity and acceptance, a bond that transcends the screen. The best part? There’s no risk of rejection from these characters; they stay consistent in their world, and the thrill of seeing them return—perhaps a little older, wiser, or faced with new challenges—creates a satisfying continuity.

For many, there’s excitement in knowing there’s something new to look forward to in a familiar world. Reboots and franchises offer the perfect blend of anticipation and comfort. The story might be familiar, but the journey is still full of surprises, and that blend of the expected with the unexpected keeps audiences coming back. Whether it’s a fresh take on an old character or an expansion of a universe we already love, this balance keeps the magic alive.

Franchises and reboots also foster a sense of community. When a beloved series releases a new installment, it becomes an event: something people can bond over. Whether it’s dissecting plot twists, debating character arcs, or lining-up for midnight screenings, the collective excitement surrounding these films creates shared cultural moments. For example, the “Barbie” movie brought a long-standing cultural icon into the present day, giving both longtime fans and newcomers something to rally around. It was more than just a movie; it became a conversation about reinvention, modern storytelling, and reimagining the familiar in a new era for a new era of people.

At their best, franchises and reboots remind us why we fell in love with these stories in the first place, while still offering something fresh and relevant. They provide a comforting blend of familiarity and innovation, creating a cinematic experience that feels both timeless and brand-new. In a constantly changing world, these films give us a reason to return to the things that made us feel something — whether it’s wonder, excitement, or pure joy — while opening the door for an even more thrilling experience. 

Sanskriti is an undergraduate astrophysics major who loves to read and is very passionate about making and eating dumplings. She is the current Vice President of the Astronomy Club at Michigan State University, and can often be found hunting for new horror podcasts to listen to.