Diary of a College Move-In (COVID Style)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Dear Diary, 

Today turned out to be the worst day of my life. To think I dreamed of how perfect this day would be: posting pictures of my Pinterest-inspired dorm room, taking family photos outside of college buildings, and no one crying, annoyed, or absent. 

How naïve. 

A hurricane struck on my move-in day, delaying my flight and making everything hectic. I was alone from the moment I stepped into the airport. Having quit her job as a nurse due to trauma caused by the pandemic, my mom couldn’t afford to come with me. 

My plane landed at 11 a.m. but I successfully reached the college at 2 p.m. Yes, the airline lost my luggage. Also, I cried for the first time that day. Oh, and they found it two hours later. 

My Uber dropped me off at the testing center. Big mistake: the college had overestimated how “walkable” this campus was and my dorm is apparently the farthest away from … well, everything. The blue cart that held my belongings became my personal enemy. After finally getting all the boxes into it by myself, I slipped and fell into the cart. Without my family here, I had to depend on the seniors who helped me get a ride to my dorm. I cried a second time. 

In my room, I proceeded to wipe everything with disinfectant and made a hand sanitizer station right by the door (necessities for a pandemic college move-in). I carried all my packages in from the mail center through the rain looking like a drowned rat. I cried for the last time. 

By the time I was done arranging my room, it was dinner time. It wasn’t pretty. I did not take a picture. My eyes were still puffy from crying. One could say I had experienced an irony of my own fantasy.

Good job on surviving, Cynthia :)

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.

Cynthia Akanaga is a junior at Mount Holyoke College, hailing from the diverse country of Nigeria in West Africa. Her excitement for embracing a new culture, trying different cuisines, and connecting with people has brought her to the United States. She's eagerly looking forward to immersing herself in these new experiences. Apart from her studies, Cynthia is a strong advocate for self-love and mental health. She finds joy in sharing her personal journey and insights, aiming to inspire and empower others along the way. When she's not busy with her academic pursuits or writing, Cynthia satisfies her love for adrenaline and fitness. Whether it's hiking, running, rock climbing, or indulging in the thrill of rollercoasters, she approaches every adventure with fearless enthusiasm.