This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

At the beginning of 2023, I made it my goal to read 50 books in one year (that’s about 1 book per week!). This was my second year doing the 50 books/year challenge, and I’ve found that it’s the perfect amount of books for me. It’s not too hard (I still have time for all my academic reading), and it’s not too easy (I sometimes fall behind!). I use Goodreads to track my reading habits, and it’s so great to be able to look back on everything I’ve read throughout the year. Here are 5 of my favorites, in no particular order.

uEjMisudzYT kceuOugObgMNur7dFb6uCh3IoeZjT9e6JiRjesI37tQjPvbooV4kBPjLMHVnZJB5dj pQC5

March 14, 2023, by The Dial Press

Hello Beautiful, by Anne Napolitano

You’re not supposed to judge a book by its cover, but in this case, I was completely right. The gorgeous artwork at the beginning prompted me to pick this book up, and in the end, I was extremely glad that I did. It’s a modern retelling of Little Women that follows four sisters as they grow up, fall in love, develop their identities, and fall apart. I’m normally not drawn to literary fiction, but the writing in this book was amazing, and the characters felt so alive.

tAO8ZYW6PrWaMzaGAuXgGvA98ArIKkvU3mnKCLVfPreinIx5ZmEdPDa5qI7JdjQppdSPc3FqUosmojYl9HhUSZaHFyAi9LRLjvttBLpoVnxcPdoY1LG sIvDFS05xUG53OrG7KrJtdqFED1f 79MBrE

May 25, 2023, by The Borough Press

Yellowface, by R.F. Kuang

This was the first book I’ve read by R.F. Kuang, and it certainly won’t be the last (I finished reading Babel in January 2024). I couldn’t put this book down, and I thought it was so insightful about the subtle (and overt) racism that pervades the publishing industry. I didn’t expect to learn so much about the process of writing and publishing while reading this book since it’s mostly advertised as a thriller, but I really enjoyed that aspect of the book! 

k1ROjohXUGxE0Snu2nk9q1BjXjv9IU2XiAWROKn7qM3ub1FKPLvQPiu69FByj4WJA4u805zIGq8X33 MpANl0CpbkHVDlKxrwIhKdK61w4E5wh2mrmVKQ9aNdCEw8KGsvccOXVVFsXFx9XR0k Xci1A

May 28, 2019, by Harper

Wordslut: A Feminist Guide to Taking Back the English Language, by Amanda Montell

It wouldn’t be a yearly book recap without some feminist nonfiction. Last year, I read Cultish: The Language of Fanaticism by the same author, and that book made it onto my yearly recap list as well! Montell (who is a linguist) has a great way of relaying information to the reader in an approachable, funny manner, and you always come away from reading her books with the sense that you’ve learned something important while having fun doing it.

RWeBMBz96bR5L95ybGwJTSGv1vOstqRVe3c0Q 2uRxf 0 xxlyq8vXMVtkHtJ4FxDQCpttYhcDWoTxmVUegu 3zuDeFjq7M1L8McRN0TgZ0yzVFjThzJc3pdnyoGN1ey95S41ueHS06XPH5aeYl0Iyo

January 17, 2023, by Berkley

How to Sell a Haunted House, by Grady Hendrix

Hand puppets … can be scary? This is something I didn’t know, and I’m not sure how I feel about that fact. Grady Hendrix’s writing style makes horror stories terrifying, funny, and heart-warming. This is an author who is always an “instant-buy” for me, and he has published some truly remarkable books (both fiction and nonfiction). There’s something so interesting to me about using a haunted house to describe family trauma or dysfunction, as the home should be the site of safety. I don’t know how Grady Hendrix made the story of a hand puppet named “Pupkin” into a terrifying tale of generational family conflict, but he did, and he did it well.

YKVqCkXb6JakTWUWHyK0BW4vLaKTnjaach7sUAPZro3LNcKKhPiqApDZylf6g4AUp HUlLn9 MP5GnaBytsIeBJjUFY 2wn IFiOfdkxCBMCytBNpw06b

September 16, 1987, by Vintage

Beloved, by Toni Morrison

This was a book that I read for a literature class that I ended up doing a lot of writing about. Beloved takes the horrific trauma of slavery and humanizes it in the form of a ghostly apparition that shows up at her mother’s house. It’s a staple in the Gothic genre (of which I’m a huge fan), but it’s also an important read because it examines the intersections of race and gender in an insightful way. Toni Morrison is extremely talented, and I’m looking forward to reading more books by her in the future!

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.

Eva Hanson

Mt Holyoke '26

Eva is a sophomore at Mount Holyoke College, double-majoring in English and Sociology with a Nexus in Journalism, Media, and Public Discourse. She grew up in Seattle, Washington and now lives in Massachusetts for most of the year. She mostly writes about music, books, TV shows, and feminism. You can often find her curled up with a book (and maybe a cat, too!)