Wellness > Mental Health

Breaking Free from Imposter Syndrome: Embracing Your True Self

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

Have you ever found yourself questioning whether you truly belong in the success you’ve achieved? Wondering if you’re just a fraud waiting to be exposed? For many, including myself, this is a common struggle known as imposter syndrome. In college, where the stakes are high and the pressure is constant, these feelings can be even more intense. For me, in order to navigate these doubts and maintain my confidence, I’ve had to actively confront and challenge these thoughts, focusing on my accomplishments and reminding myself of my worth.  I’ve shared some tips below that have helped me gain a clearer perspective. If you find yourself struggling with negative thoughts about your abilities, I encourage you to try these strategies to help quiet those doubts.

Acknowledge and Name the Feeling

• Imposter syndrome is something many people experience, especially in college where the pressure to succeed can feel overwhelming. As a student, it’s easy to doubt yourself when surrounded by high achievers or facing new challenges. Recognizing that these feelings are normal and naming them for what they are can make a huge difference. When you realize that imposter syndrome doesn’t reflect your actual abilities, it becomes easier to separate your self-worth from the doubt. This simple acknowledgment helps you regain control and move forward with more confidence.

Leveraging Social Media with Purpose

• Social media can both fuel and combat imposter syndrome. To overcome this, for me, I curate my feed by unfollowing accounts that trigger comparison and following those that promote positivity and authenticity. Sharing my journey, both successes and challenges can help build confidence and foster transparency. 
  • Engaging with supportive communities, setting time limits, and posting affirmations can also shift social media from a source of pressure to one of empowerment. By being mindful of what I share and embracing authenticity, I can combat self-doubt while inspiring others.

Celebrate Your Wins

• Take time to acknowledge even small victories, such as completing a task you’ve been avoiding, speaking up in a meeting or class, or learning something new. Recognizing your successes, no matter how minor reinforces your self-worth and helps shift your focus from self-doubt to personal growth. Celebrating these achievements can boost confidence, serve as a reminder of your progress, and provide motivation during more challenging times. Share your wins with friends, and family, or even on social media, allowing others to celebrate with you and affirm your accomplishments. This practice not only combats imposter syndrome but also encourages a mindset of gratitude and self-appreciation.

You Don’t Have to Navigate Tough Emotions Alone

• Dealing with negative feelings can feel overwhelming, but reaching out for support makes a big difference. Whether it’s venting to a close friend, talking to a therapist, or using helpful apps like Headspace or Calm, it’s important not to go through it alone. I know it may feel like you’re overreacting or that your issues aren’t serious enough to ask for help, but I’ve definitely been there. But no matter how small you think your struggles are, they’re still valid. 
  • In addition to the apps, I also find it helpful to journal my thoughts and emotions, take short walks to clear my mind and reach out to close friends when I need to talk things through. Sometimes, just stepping away from my usual routine and practicing deep breathing or meditation makes a big difference in how I manage stress. This has been a simple way to slow down and take care of my mental health when I need it most.
Renee Douglas, an honors junior at North Carolina A&T State University, is majoring in Journalism and Mass Communications with a minor in Public Relations. Committed to academic excellence, she is actively engaged in campus organizations and internships, where she hones her skills and builds connections. Passionate about advocating for women’s empowerment and uplifting the Black community, Renee aspires to use her journalism and public relations expertise to amplify underrepresented voices. She is dedicated to creating impactful stories that inspire change and contribute positively to society.