Riley Keough in Daisy Jones and the Six
Riley Keough in Daisy Jones and the Six
Lacey Terrell/Prime Video
Style > Fashion

70s Fashion Resurgence: The Intersection of Nostalgia and Modernity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Stumblin In at a rapid speed, the groovy style of the 70s is the new 20s. Making an appearance during fashion week and a national debut from the hit series, Daisy Jones and the Six, it’s unlikely the style will Drift Away anytime soon.

Inspiration for the Revival

What’s behind this renewed fascination with the 70s? Some might argue that it’s a reflection of our current cultural moment. After all, the 1970s were a time of great social upheaval, marked by protests, political activism, and a push for greater equality. Those same issues are still very much at the forefront of our minds today. It’s possible that fashion is simply mirroring that zeitgeist, offering us a chance to tap into the optimism and rebellious spirit of that era.

Famous Designers and Influence of the Style

So who are the designers responsible for this retro resurgence? Gucci’s Alessandro Michele is one name that immediately comes to mind. Since taking over as creative director in 2015, Michele has made a name for himself by channeling the spirit of the 70s into his collections. His designs are a veritable smorgasbord of colorful prints, exaggerated collars, and voluminous shapes. It’s an aesthetic that has proven incredibly popular with consumers, and it’s easy to see why.

Alessandro Michele’s Gucci, t.victoria_official

One of the most notable designers to emerge from the 70s was Yves Saint Laurent. Saint Laurent was known for his innovative use of color and print, as well as his ability to create fluid, feminine silhouettes. He famously introduced the “Le Smoking” suit in 1966, a tuxedo-style suit for women that challenged traditional gender norms.

Le Smoking, norabnora

The 70s was a time when fashion rules were turned upside down, and the likes of Halston and Giorgio Armani were the ultimate pioneers of this radical movement. Think metallic textiles, jumpsuits, and platform shoes that would make you the envy of every disco queen in town. These designers broke down barriers and promoted self-expression with their daring and innovative creations, from the iconic halter-neck disco dress to tailored three-piece suits that oozed sophistication and style. 

And now, in the present day, we are witnessing the revival of this sensational trend. The Moschino Resort 2023 collection is a fabulous fusion of eccentricity and 70s style that will transport you back to the eclectic era. Get ready to shine bright like a disco ball!

Moschino Resort 2023, banannasui

Modern reinterpretations capture the spirit of these pieces, producing designs with all the classic elements. Fringed suede jackets, bell-bottom jeans, and peasant blouses are all staples of the 70s wardrobe. The bohemian influence is present in the use of natural fabrics like cotton and linen, as well as the use of embroidery and crochet. And of course, no 70s-inspired look is complete without a pair of oversized sunglasses.

Experiment with the 70s for your Summer Style

It’s not just high-end designers who are getting in on the 70s trend. Fast fashion retailers like Zara, H&M, and ASOS are also offering plenty of 70s-inspired looks, from flared jeans to platform sandals. It’s a trend that’s accessible to everyone, regardless of budget or taste. Daisy Jones and the Six inspired the affordable collaboration with Free People, making this style accessible to all aspiring Dancing Queens and Rocketman, just in time for summer.

Katy Masden, a summa cum laude graduate of NC State with a degree in Business Marketing. Her academic journey is a fusion of creative extracurricular activities and an insatiable wanderlust spirit, both of which have ignited her aspirations within the field of marketing. Her goal is to collaborate with innovative magazines and fashion companies that share her unwavering enthusiasm for pioneering ideas. As an active member of the American Marketing Association, Katy is eager to connect with industry leaders, recognizing the immense value of networking and shared insights to drive innovation within the marketing and global business landscape. Post-graduation, her ambition is global, with a desire to travel and cultivate diverse ideas into innovative campaigns. She is eager to immerse herself in the dynamic world of creative direction, forging cross-cultural collaborations and pushing the limits of marketing.