Culture > News

Supporting Asheville in the Wake of Hurricane Helene

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

On September 26, 2024, Hurricane Helene, a Category 4 hurricaneĀ made landfall close to Perry, Florida. In addition to catastrophic floods, massive wind damage, and storm surges as high as fifteen feet, this strong hurricane inflicted substantial damage throughout Florida, Georgia, and portions of the Southeast United States. As the storm worsened inland, North Carolina also saw major flooding and tornadoes.

Asheville and its surrounding villages have greatly suffered from flooding, power outages, and the displacement of families brought on by Hurricane Helene. Locals and visitors must come together and contribute support as the city and surrounding areas begin on an exhausting road to recovery. Here are some ways you can assist Asheville and the surrounding areas in recovering from the destruction caused by this strong storm.

Firstly, one of the fastest ways to help is by donating to local relief organizations and funds set up to assist communities and families affected by Hurricane Helene. Several Asheville-based nonprofits and grassroots organizations are gathering resources to help those in need. The groups include Mutual Aid Disaster Relief, a grassroots organization to help families in need of health and hygiene, emergency aid, and food supplies. Currently, there are drop-off locations in several cities in North Carolina that are supporting aid and relief. The locations are Concord City Walmart parking lot, Art Post in Durham, Back Alley Bikes in Carrboro, and Rumah in Raleigh. There are lists from all these resources of items to donate or even fund these sites to help our people in North Carolina in Asheville and the Appalachia.

Next, plan to volunteer your time and efforts to help communities in Asheville to start working on the immediate aftermath of a disaster, whether that is assisting with debris cleanup, home reconstruction, or the distribution of food and supplies. The aid and care for these communities’ suffering from Hurrican Helene are greatly appreciated in this time of need and for a speedy recovery.

Lastly, if you have an additional room or piece of property, try to help our beloved communities and families by providing displaced families with short-term housing. Residents who can provide a safe place to stay are being connected with people in need of refuge through several local housing networks and social media organizations. As an alternative, money donated to charities like the United Way, or the Red Cross can assist in providing evacuees and people who have lost their homes with temporary accommodation.

Although recovering from Hurricane Helene will take time, Asheville and the neighboring communities will emerge from the storm stronger than before thanks to the generosity of kind people and institutions. There are numerous ways to help with the relief efforts, including donating money and supplies, volunteering, or increase the support. Together, we can support these communities in their recovery and revival because every person and actions taken matters.

Alexandra Byrne is a member and writer of Her Campus at North Carolina State University. This is her first year of joining Her Campus of 2023. She is in charge of producing and publishing articles, attending meetings, and to encourage support and collaboration for her team. Other than contributing to Her Campus, Alexandra was an extensive member of her high school's student government. Establishing leadership, community service events, and understanding the importance of equity in governing roles. She so then became an active member of her school's Genders and Sexualities Alliance club, in which greater expanded her support for the LGBTQ+ community, as well as hosting school fundraiser events for her local community. Alexandra has a huge green thumb. While being a part of her school's Earth Club, her love mother nature grew. She has contributed to the funds and support of her high school's building of a greenhouse, and so then helped her local community understand the whole heartly importance of sustainability. Alexandra is a freshman at NC State University with the intended major of Civil Engineering. In the next years, she aims to travel as much as possible, and love the career planned for her in the near future. Now here is a little more insight of who Alexandra really is about. Alexandra was born and raised in Concord, North Carolina. She is the oldest of three daughters, so it is safe to say she knows a thing or two about how to share with others. She absolutely loves to go on a spree at any local thrift store among her radius, sipping on iced coffee, reading romance books, and sharing laughs with her close friends. Alexandra is a heavy music listener. She enjoys relating to the entirely of Taylor Swifts and Phoebe Bridgers discography, attending any underground concert she can find, and making thoughtful playlists for her friends.