carrie bradshaw i live here
carrie bradshaw i live here
New Line Cinema

Why “Sex and the City” Is the Ultimate Show for Women in Their 20s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Few iconic television series have left as big of an impact on pop culture as “Sex and the City.” As the characters navigate love, friendship, and careers in New York City, SATC reflects the complexities of womanhood through humor, raw honesty, and women empowerment. At the beginning of this past fall semester after a year of failed relationships and boy drama, one thing that remained constant was the friends I had made in college. In an era of “protecting our peace,” my roommate and I began watching the show together and quickly became obsessed. The lessons learned in fashion, friendship, and relationships have defined my mindset in these past few months.

Viewers of the show are introduced to four distinct women – Carrie, Charlotte, Miranda, and Samantha. As a young woman in my 20s, I find comfort in the relatable struggles, triumphs, and insecurities these characters experience. Whether it’s Carrie’s pursuit of love with the complicated Mr. Big, Charlotte’s desire for a fairytale romance, Miranda’s struggle to juggle her career and motherhood, or Samantha’s fearless approach to sexuality, there’s a character for every woman to identify with.

One of the most empowering aspects of SATC is its celebration of female independence. The show challenges traditional norms and encourages women to pursue their passions, prioritize their careers, and assert their independence. In your 20s, the search for love often feels like a priority and central theme in day-to-day life. There are conflicting pressures in college to find your husband while also having fun being single while you’re young. Through their experiences on the show, these four women teach viewers that it’s perfectly acceptable not to know what you want and to explore the highs and lows of romantic relationships.

For many fans, the fashion is as much a character as the four leading women. The show’s influence on style is undeniable, with the outfits being a source of inspiration even now over twenty years later. Carrie Bradshaw’s electric fashion sense, from her iconic Manolo Blahniks to her dramatic wardrobe choices, serves as a source of inspiration for self-expression and embracing personal style. Each of the four women uphold their unique style throughout the show, contributing to its lasting impact on the world of fashion.

As women navigate their 20s, friendships take on a profound significance. The friends we make during this stage of life are often our forever friends. “Sex and the City” beautifully captures the essence of enduring friendships, demonstrating that the bond between these four women is as unbreakable as it is relatable. For those in their 20s, SATC serves as a guide, a source of laughter, and a mirror reflecting the various aspects of womanhood.

Ally Haddad is a new member of Her Campus who is excited to tap back into writing as a creative outlet! She enjoys the freedom of writing and has always maintained a journal. She is passionate about using her voice to shed light on current subject matters and topics that interest her such as music and film. Currently a sophomore at North Carolina State University, Ally is a political science major with an international relations concentration. She hopes to work in the non-profit sector following undergrad and develop a network before applying to law school. Before college, she was Vice President of her high school's student body, a well-rounded athlete, and an editor for the student-run newspaper. She is now an active Delta Zeta sorority member and her chapter's alumni relations chairman. Ally is from a small town in the Washington DC – Baltimore area but has spent most of her summers at her beach house on Ocracoke Island in the Outer Banks! She enjoys concerts, being outdoors, traveling and Sex and the City. Some of her favorite artists include Mac Miller, Taylor Swift, The Beatles and Faye Webster. Ally also works as a nanny in college and adores doing weekly crafts with the kids.