This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

With the weather cooling down, the city can finally take a deep breath and move away from the oppressive heat of New York City summers. I, for one, am ecstatic at the weather change, and with this cool air comes the ability for a fresh start and a dive into new activities. I can’t wait for crisp walks through central park, hot bowls of soup, and baking on the weekends. 

To celebrate the change in season I’ve compiled a list of 5 of my favorite fall recipes. Everything from a cozy soup, savory pasta, to a yummy apple cobbler classic, this list is what you need to get your fall cooking started. 

Pumpkin Pasta 

Prep Time: 10mins Cook Time: 20mins Total Time: 30mins

• Ingredients
    • 8 ounces whole-wheat fettuccini or any other long, thin noodle, such as linguine or spaghetti
    • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    • 2 cloves garlic minced
    • 2 cups nonfat milk
    • 1 cup pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling
    • 3 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese cut into chunks and at room temperature (do not use fat-free)
    • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage leaves divided
    • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    • Pinch ground cayenne pepper
    • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese for serving
  • Instructions
    • Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta to al dente, according to package instructions. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta water, drain pasta and set aside. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Once hot and sizzling, add the flour, then whisk constantly until it turns a golden color and smells nutty. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Slowly pour in the milk a few splashes at a time, whisking constantly to smooth any clumps. Increase the heat to medium-high, then let cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce bubbles and thickens about 8 to 10 minutes.
    • Remove the pan from the heat, then stir in the pumpkin, cream cheese, half of the chopped sage leaves, salt, pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cayenne. Continue whisking until the cream cheese melts and you have a smooth, rich sauce. Taste and add additional salt and pepper as desired.
    • Add the cooked pasta to the pan and gently toss to combine. Thin the pasta with a bit of the reserved pasta water as needed if it seems too thick or sticky. Serve immediately, topped with Parmesan and the remaining sage.

Apple Cobbler

Prep Time: 10mins Cook Time: 50mins Total Time: 1hr

• Ingredients
    • 8 cups apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
    • ⅓ cup brown sugar
    • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
    • ½ cup butter
    • 1 ½ cup sugar
    • 2 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1 ¾ cup milk
    • 2 teaspoons vanilla
    • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • Instructions
    • Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
    • Combine apples, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a large bowl set aside.
    • Melt butter and pour into a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
    • In a large mixing bowl, add flour and sugar, stir together. Add milk and vanilla and stir until smooth. Add baking powder, stirring until all combined.
    • Pour batter over melted butter, do not stir. Pour apples evenly over batter and butter. Once again do not stir.
    • Bake for 40-50 minutes until edges are browned and filling is bubbly.
    • Allow cooling slightly before serving. Perfect with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or fresh whipped cream.

Butternut Squash Soup 

Prep time: 10mins Cook Time:25mins  Total Time: 35 mins

• Ingredients:
    • ½ Tbsp. olive oil
    • 2 garlic cloves minced
    • 1 onion diced
    • 1 butternut squash peeled and diced into cubes
    • 32 ounces vegetable broth
    • 1-2 tsp. Salt
  • Instructions: 
    • In a dutch oven pot (or heavy pot), heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
    • Add cut-up butternut squash and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until squash is softened.
    • Carefully pour the entire contents of the pot into a blender Add salt.
    • Carefully blend until smooth. Serve in bowls with thyme if desired. Enjoy!

Apple Rosemary Foccacia 

Prep Time: 2 hrs  Cook Time: 25 mins  Total Time: 2hrs 25min

• Ingredients:
    • 1 Pkg. Active Dry Yeast
    • 1 1/2 to 2 Cups Warm Water
    • 5 Cups All-purpose, Unbleached Flour
    • 1 Teaspoon Salt
    • 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
    • 3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    • 2 Tablespoons Fresh Chopped Rosemary
    • 2 Teaspoons Coarse Salt
    • 1 1/2 Tablespoons Coarsely Chopped Rosemary
    • 2 Medium Apples, Cored & Thinly Sliced (Honey Crisp, Pink Lady, or Fuji Work Well)
    • 3/4 Cup Grated Cheese Of Choice 
  • Instructions
    • Dissolve the yeast in 1/2 cup of the warm water, and let sit 10 minutes until bubbly.
    • In a large bowl, combine the flour, teaspoons of salt, olive oil, yeast mixture, and remaining water.
    • Mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon and then your hands.
    • Transfer to a floured work surface and knead by hand for a few minutes or until smooth.
    • Place in a well-oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours in a warm spot.
    • Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
    • Punch down dough and place on a 13 X 9-inch oiled baking sheet, using your fingers to spread across the sheet.
    • Dimple the top surface with your fingertips, and then evenly spread the apple slices across the top, and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with the sea salt and chopped rosemary.
    • Bake about 20, remove from oven, and sprinkle the cheese evenly across the top.
    • Bake another 5 to 7 minutes until the cheese has melted and the focaccia is golden brown.
    • Serve warm or at room temperature.

Pumpkin Spiced Muffins 

Prep Time: 10 mins  Cook Time: 35 mins  Total Time: 45 mins

• Ingredients: 
    • 2 1/2 Cups All-purpose Flour
    • 2 Cups Sugar
    • 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
    • 1 1/2 Teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
    • 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
    • 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
    • Dash of Salt
    • 2 Eggs
    • 1 Cup Cooked or Canned Pumpkin Puree (See Above)
    • 1/2 Cup Sunflower Seed Oil
    • 2 Cups Finely Chopped Fresh Pears, Peeled & Cored First
    • 1/2 Cup Sugar
    • 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
  • Instructions
    • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    • Mix together the flour, sugar, soda, spices, and salt in a bowl.
    • In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, pumpkin, and oil.
    • Pour the egg mixture into the bowl with the flour and with a wooden spoon gently mix together.
    • Fold in the chopped pear.
    • Fill 12 lightly greased or paper-lined muffin cups.
    • If using topping, mix together the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle some on top of each muffin.
    • Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean.
    • Cool and serve.
If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com