This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Taylor Swift, the music industry herself, has graced us all with the release of her brand-new album Midnights. A collection of thirteen songs for thirteen sleepless nights across the course of her career, alongside a ‘3am surprise’ of seven bonus tracks. Since its release, I have been listening to the album on repeat, and thus have decided to attempt the feat of ranking all twenty songs. Disclaimer, I know little to nothing about music production. I am, however, an English student, so this ranking is purely based on personal preference with a dash of literary analysis sprinkled in. That being said, here is my ranking of all twenty songs on the masterpiece that is Midnights.

20. “Glitch”

Starting off the list is “Glitch”. This is the kind of song I can see myself having on in the background, but I don’t see myself gravitating towards it on its own. Apart from the bridge, I find it too repetitive lyrically, so it just doesn’t really stand out to me.

19. “Dear Reader”

“No one sees when you lose when you’re playing solitaire”. A song encompassing the desire to disappear and reinvent yourself while highlighting feelings of loneliness and isolation, “Dear Reader” seems to flow as a personal letter of advice Swift wrote to herself. The calm, dreaminess of the song really makes it feel like something Swift stayed up late at night constructing, as she recounts lessons and desires she’s collected along the way.

18. “High Infidelity”

“Do you really want to know where I was April 29th?” Yes Taylor, yes, I do.

17. “Lavender Haze”

The song sets the stage for a lot that Midnights explores thematically, like how Taylor’s “been under scrutiny” in her career and dealing with all the expectations people put on her. The song feels like a breakthrough for her fully letting go of all the criticisms people have thrown at her and embracing a new stage in her life of where she’s not letting the hate get to her.

16. “Bigger than the Whole Sky”

Don’t be fooled by the dreamy, magical production. To me, this is one of the saddest songs on the album. I’ve seen a few theories for the songs meaning floating around online, but the gist of it is experiencing a deep sense of loss over something that could’ve been. Lyrics like “I’ve got a lot to pine about, I’ve got a lot to live without” really hit deep for anyone experiencing a bout of unrequited love or a feeling of sadness over a loss. It’s a wishful letter to something that could’ve been and will live on as a deep longing to look back on one day, as opposed to a tangible memory of a past reality. Definitely a song to stay up late wallowing and listening to.

15. “Bejewelled”

This song radiates pure confidence with lyrics like “What’s a girl gonna do? A diamond’s gotta shine”. It’s about walking into any room, feeling and looking good and not being afraid to admit it.  

14. “The Great War”

“Diesel is desire, you were playing with fire”. War and battle as a metaphor for breakups and relationships is certainly not a new phenomenon in music, but Swift still manages to make it stand out with her lyrical magic.

13. “Paris”

‘Everything is better in Paris’, as the saying goes. In the case of this song, it seems like everything is better when you’re in love, making you feel like you’re transported away drinking expensive champagne or strolling through the streets of Paris. A catchy, feel-good pop number about the highs of being in love.

12. “Would’ve, Could’ve, Should’ve”

The bridge. Need I say more?

11. “Vigilante Shit”

A song straight out of her Reputation era, this ranking is almost purely based on the lyric “while he was doing lines and crossing all of mine”.

10. “Karma”

I read somewhere that “Karma” is the indie girl revenge song, and I would have to agree. It truly is a relaxing thought to know that the universe is there to enact revenge for you as you sit back, relax, and enjoy the show.

9. “Snow on the Beach”

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I enjoyed “Snow on the Beach”. This is one of the songs on the album that sounds like it could’ve been on Folklore/Evermore. A song about loving someone and having them love you back, and how it “feels impossible”. Almost like snow falling on a beach
 It highlights the tentative stage in a budding relationship where you find your feelings are reciprocated, and you’re afraid if you blink or move, you’ll miss it. It’s airy, dreamy melody effectively relates this sense of blissful content and harmony.

8. “Maroon”

The way Blondie uses the colour wheel of going to deeper shades of red (burgundy, scarlet and maroon) to illustrate the building up of colours like the build-up of the fight in a relationship deserves to be commended. Memory is a long legacy to leave, and she really makes you feel that in this one.

7. “Anti-Hero”

Despite not being in the top 5, I consider “Anti-Hero” to be the face of the album, voicing a lot of Swift’s insecurities echoed in other songs throughout. Its self-deprecating in a way many of us can relate and sing along to. Special recognition is also due for the lyrics “did you hear my covert narcissism I disguise as altruism”.

6. “Midnight Rain”

This feels like one of her more mature breakup songs, of realising you’ve just outgrown one another and it’s time to move on, but how that still doesn’t stop the memories creeping in to haunt you late at night. An easy song to have on repeat for sure.

5. “Sweet Nothing”

“Sweet Nothing” lives up to its title – a sweet, cosy little melody about being content with the little things in a relationship.

4.” Labyrinth”

Breathy and beautiful, “Labyrinth” brought an instant smile to my face when I first heard it. The pause in the build-up when she sings “Uh oh, I’m falling in love/ oh no, I’m falling in love again” perfectly mirrors the literal moment of realisation when you feel the panic of your feelings hitting you full force. While one of the most lyrically simple in the album, there’s a real effect in that. It’s a pause; a moment in time where you can’t think straight, trying to calm your breathing as you make sense of these new emotions.

3. “Question
?”

This song has really grown on me since my first listen. The build-up, the storytelling, the prying, the frustration, and the yearning all culminate to make this a catchy pop song. I interpreted it as finally being in a stable, calm relationship but being unable to shake that longing for a more turbulent yet exciting past one. Think along the line of “The Way I Loved You”.

2. “Mastermind”

The penultimate ranking goes to “Mastermind”. This song feels like the wise, older sister to “Invisible String” on Folklore, where instead of believing there’s some invisible force tying you to your future soulmate, the reality is that you actually have to play an active role in getting it to happen. It’s clever, fast-paced, catchy, and a great example of Taylor’s intricate storytelling as a song writer.

1. “You’re on Your Own Kid”

Finally, the number one spot on my list goes to “You’re on Your Own Kid”. A different kind of heartbreak song, one of realising you only have yourself at the end of the day, but maybe that’s not so bad. The motif of childhood with picking petals off flowers and making friendship bracelets really tug at the heartstrings. It’s a reminder that good things are coming, while reiterating the importance of appreciating all stages of life. It’s a tearjerker but in a good way. Hats off to you Taylor.

Kinda Atassi

Nottingham '23

Hi! I am a third year English student at UoN with a passion for all things travel, theatre, music and coffee related. Looking forward to writing articles for Her Campus this year and being part of an empowering space for women <3