Valentine’s Day on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

February 14th, aka Valentine’s Day, is a day many collegiettes look forward to from the minute the New Year’s festivities end. Unfortunately, it is also a day that can be quite costly for undergrads hoping to make the most out of their day of romance. Whether you are planning a romantic night with your boyfriend or hitting the streets with your best girlfriends, Valentine’s Day does not have to be a budget-busting event. Through strategic planning and a little research, NYU girls can have an amazing – and cheap – night that will keep them happy until St. Patrick’s Day.

For NYU’s single collegiettes, there are numerous ways to indulge in Valentine’s Day festivities with your best girlfriends without taking more than $40 out of an atm. If relaxation is your goal, there are numerous places around campus where you can get a manicure and pedicure for less than $25. Renew and Relax, a personal favorite, also offers an amazing ten-minute massage for about $10 on third-avenue and tenth-street.

If you and your girls want to stay in and avoid the overwhelming display of red throughout the city, a cheesy Valentine’s Day party is just the ticket. Invite all your single friends, snag all the cheesiest rom-coms you can find at the Walgreens Redbox, order a pizza, and bake delicious treats. Pillsbury.com currently features the recipe for “Valentine Cookie Pops” if you aspire to something a little more complicated than the break and bake cookies from Duane Reade. Movies from Redbox, $3-12. Pizza and Cookies, $15-20. Fun with your best friends, priceless.

For collegiettes celebrating with their loving boyfriends, don’t fret over an expensive gift. After asking a few male NYU undergrads what they really want, girls will be relieved to find their wants are surprisingly simple. Peter Liu, a sophomore in Film and Television at Tisch, simply wants “a nice warm hat with ear flaps!” Forrest Matthew, a sophomore in Liberal Studies, said that “if anything” all he would want is “a bottle of wine and a clear schedule for the night.” For Gallatin senior Brendan O’Flaherty, the ideal gift is “honestly, honestly, honestly, nothing.”

The overall message the guys are trying to send us is that what they really want is for us to be only theirs for one night with no distractions and a clear schedule, both of which are absolutely free of charge.

However, there is still the question of what to do that could bring up some cost issues. As most NYU collegiettes know, trying to eat out in New York can be one of the most expensive ways to spend a regular Thursday night, let alone a holiday. Rather than deal with reservations, tipping, and the cold aftermath of a blizzard, why not stay in? Marc Akiyama, a sophomore in Percussion at Steinhardt, would actually prefer to “stay in and cook together” because “it’s more personal and more fun.”

This is where the strategic planning comes in. Rather than stand in line outside of an insanely crowded Trader Joe’s on February 13th, try going in between classes on Monday, February 11th. A clever collegiette can buy all the ingredients for an amazing Valentine’s Day meal for less than $30, and that includes chocolates for later in the night.

Valentine’s day is ultimately a day to enjoy. Is it really enjoyable if you spent a ridiculous amount of money on it? Don’t experience financial regret February 15th because you broke your wallet in an attempt to create the perfect evening. A day that is about love should really just be about love and spending time with those you love. Cuddling on the couch with a boyfriend or chatting the night away with your girlfriends doesn’t cost a dime and still can make Valentine’s Day amazing.

Photo Sources:
Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3: 1 2 3
Photo 4

Alyssa Dvorak is a Journalism and Sociology major in NYU's College of Arts and Science. Originally from Verona, Wisconsin, Alyssa has always loved the city and has found a second home in NYU's neighborhood. Her hobbies include writing, dancing, choreographing, and running. She is on NYU's Purple and White Dance Team and is also working towards a Dance minor. You can follow Alyssa on Twitter: @AlyssaDvorak. Alyssa hopes to ultimately be an entertainment journalist in New York City.
Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.