Taylor Swift folklore
Taylor Swift folklore
Republic

Meeting Taylor Swift at Midnight – A Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

As a lifelong Swiftie, I have been eagerly waiting for Taylor Swift’s 10th studio album, Midnights. From her “Midnights Mayhem with Me” on Tik Tok revealing the track list, to the fun lyrics posted all around the world leading up to its release — I am absolutely stoked to finally have this album!

Of course, I had to stay up until midnight (even in the midst of midterm season) to get my first glimpse of all the new songs. After a brief crash on Spotify and scrambling to get this long-awaited masterpiece to load, I finally was brought to the opening of Lavender Haze, a fun, upbeat song beginning with the lyrics, “Meet Me at Midnight”. In this song, Taylor evidently hints at keeping her current relationship with Joe Alwin private in the midst of all her public affairs. We know Taylor’s Track Ones are always a good determination as to what to expect, and she certainly did not disappoint.

We are then met with songs that really encapsulate those “middle-of-the-night” thoughts, like Anti-Hero and You’re on Your Own, Kid, which are definitely apt to put you into your feelings and relate to all those late-night overthinking feelings. Her creativity continues in writing heartfelt lyrics in Sweet Nothing and Mastermind. There certainly was not a single skip on this album, and all 13 songs showcased just how amazing of a songwriter Taylor truly is.

And if 13 songs wasn’t enough, Taylor’s “special very chaotic surprise” put Swifties in for a treat with 7 new songs in a Midnights (3am Edition)! Similar to the “From the Vault” tracks from her most recent re-recordings of her albums Fearless (Taylor’s Version) and Red (Taylor’s Version), she adds even more for her fans to relish in. My favorites upon first listen were Bigger Than The Whole Sky, Glitch, and Would’ve, Could’ve, Should’ve. Taylor even just announced that she will be embarking on her Eras Tour beginning next year, which is bound to be the concert of a lifetime after she has not toured since 2018, and has proceeded to release four new albums and two re-recordings since then.

I highly recommend giving this entire album a listen as soon as possible. It is a wonderful masterpiece that follows Taylor’s late nights and makes it feel as if you are experiencing them with her first-hand. Taylor’s music will always hold a special place in my heart, and I know that this album will be on repeat until further notice, so when the clock strikes midnight, just know that Taylor Swift will be meeting you there.

Alyssa Marcus

Providence '23

Alyssa is a senior Political Science major with a Spanish minor at Providence College and co-president for Her Campus! She is also involved in PC's Mock Trial Team, Admissions Ambassadors, and Student Alumni Association. In her free time, she loves photography, traveling, and exploring coffee shops in Downtown Providence!