Penn State Old Main
Penn State Old Main
Original photo by Emma Wesolowski

My Favorite Businesses in Downtown State College

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Living in a college town means that there are a lot of places downtown for students to eat, study and shop. A lot of these places are ones I don’t have in my hometown, which makes me appreciate them even more.

irVING’S

If Irving’s has 100 fans, I am one of them. If Irving’s has no fans, I’m dead.

I don’t think there is a day that goes by that I don’t think about getting a bagel sandwich from Irving’s. It might be boring to some, but bacon, egg and cheese on a plain bagel will always be my go-to.

Along with food, they have amazing drinks to choose from. I always get an iced caramel latte because I’m a creature of habit, but I want to try one of their smoothies at some point.

Whether I’m sitting in Irving’s between classes and getting breakfast, or going on the weekends for a breakfast date, I know I won’t be disappointed.

The Nittany Quill

I have always walked by this store but I’d never gone in until last week, and I had the pleasure to talk to the owner, Joy.

Joy has had this store since 1984, an impressive feat.

The front window is always decorated for the season or the upcoming holiday, which is cute.

I’ve always loved stationery, notebooks and journals, and this store has all that plus more. Everything is designed by Joy such as cards, earrings and prints, which makes everything personal.

Along with all of her handmade treasures, she sells things like pens, stuffed animals and little books of inspiration.

Even if you don’t necessarily want to buy anything, it is such a cute store to go window shopping.

Also make sure to check out her Instagram.

Dunkin

I am a Dunkin girl at heart and will chose it over Starbucks any day.

The Dunkin downtown is so convenient to stop in a get a drink before or after class when I need a quick pick me up.

The service is usually pretty fast even when it’s busy, so I’m never left waiting for too long.

The squirrel and acorn bookshop

I’m not going to lie, for the longest time I thought this was a kids book store, so I never went in until recently.

The inside is so cute and cozy. They have a small selection of books since it’s not the largest store, but they have many different genres to choose from, as well as children’s books.

In the back corner they have stationary supplies as well which I was happy to see.

I can definitely see myself going back to buy books.

ROOTS

Roots is probably my second favorite spot downtown to get food (after Irving’s, of course).

It is kinda pricey so I don’t get it as much as I would like to. Despite the price, I’m always very happy with the quality of food I receive.

The serving size is a good portion for me and I like how customers order at the counter and can pick everything they want as they go down the line.

This makes it quick and easy to get a personalized meal when I’m on the go.

Overall, downtown State College has a nice selection of shops and restaurants and I can’t wait to explore more!

Caroline is a third-year student at Penn State studying digital and print journalism with a minor in digital media trends and analytics. When she is not doing school work or writing for HER Campus @ PSU, she is at the gym, watching YouTube, cooking/ baking, or hanging out with friends.