My Ranking of the Five New Vault Tracks on ‘1989 (Taylor’s Version)’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Taylor Swift originally released “1989” on Oct. 27, 2014. On the album there were 13 tracks with three additional songs on the deluxe record. Swift also included three voice memos on the deluxe version, talking about her songwriting process.

Nine years later, she has released “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” which includes all of the original songs rerecorded, and five new, never before heard songs from the vault.

Here is my ranking of the five vault tracks on “1989 (Taylor’s Version)”:

“Is It Over Now? (Taylor’s Version) (From The Vault)”

In my opinion, the number one vault track from this album is “Is It Over Now?” The instrumentals, vocals and production make this song remarkable.

Infidelity is the main theme in the lyrics, but there’s still a part of you fantasizing about your partner coming back to you with loving apologies.

This track is one of my favorites on the album as a whole.

“Say Don’t Go (Taylor’s Version) (From The Vault)”

“Say Don’t Go” touches on the subject of insecurities in a relationship — determining whether you and your partner are the right people for each other but jumping into the relationship anyway.

I like how Swift highlights the good and bad parts of a relationship, and shows how it affects her emotionally.

This song is a great listen for people who are having similar types of uncertainties in their relationships.

“Now That We Don’t Talk (Taylor’s Version) (From The Vault)”

The third spot in my ranking goes to “Now That We Don’t Talk” because of how genuine the lyrics are. Listening to this track, you can hear the frustration and sadness in Swift’s voice.

In this song, she talks about the post-breakup period of a romantic relationship and the complex emotions that come along with it.

This is one of the songs that really stuck out to me during the first listen.

“Suburban Legends (Taylor’s Version) (From The Vault)”

Next up is “Suburban Legends,” which is about an unfaithful partner who has irresistible charm. This is an upbeat track with sorrowful lyrics that are incredibly relatable.

It reminds me of the song “gold rush” from Swift’s album “evermore,” which talks about dating someone who everyone is obsessed with.

It has impressive production elements and amazing vocals.

“Slut! (Taylor’s Version) (From The Vault)”

The first vault track by Swift details her experience of the media slut-shaming her. In the past, the media has focused heavily on Swift’s personal and romantic relationships. They tend to portray her as someone who goes around dating people to only then write songs to publicly shame them.

In this song, she’s questioning if it’s worth going through all the trouble of a relationship if it’s not going to last.

It’s a very solid track with relevant themes in our society today.

Taylor Swift Album
Original photo by Rafaela Pontes

It’s always amazing to receive new music from Swift, and the re-release of 1989 does not disappoint. If you want to listen to any of the songs on “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” it’s linked below.

Now excuse me, I have to go listen to this album continuously for the next two weeks.

Allison is a first-year student studying Digital and Print Journalism with a minor in Women's Studies. When she isn't writing for Her Campus @ PSU, she's listening to ABBA, hanging out with friends, and watching sitcoms. On the weekends, she likes to go thrifting and try new restaurants downtown.