Penn State Fall Landscape
Penn State Fall Landscape
Original photo by Vrinda Agarwal

Rating the Prettiest Buildings On Campus At Penn State

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

This may be biased, but I think that Penn State has one of the most stunning college campuses. From an architectural standpoint, Penn State has created varying themes by incorporating red brick, elements of steel and a special mix of more modern buildings throughout. However, some buildings are not as attractive as others. 

Old Main: 9/10

Old Main is a Penn State icon. It is the emblem of our institution, and it sticks out from the rest of the buildings on campus. With this, it gets a very high rating of nine. My only issue with Old Main is that there are no usable classrooms within it. I feel like this takes away from my Penn State experience, because it would be so special to actually learn in such a quintessential atmosphere. Another problem is that I wish it matched the red brick that is present in most other buildings, so it doesn’t get top marks.  

HUB-Robeson Center: 8/10

The HUB is a different building in the sense that it thrives on unity. From the outside, it shows different dimensions than other buildings. Specifically, the arched look out on the top of the building shows contrasting proportions to the more traditional building on campuses. But the most special part is the landscape architecture. The HUB lawn is one of the most idyllic green spaces on campus, along with the gazebo and shaded sitting areas. Combining new architectural concepts on the inside and pristine landscaping, it really is a place of unity in a very elegant building. With that, it earns its grade of eight. 

Veterinary Science Building: 10/10 

The Veterinary Science building is the newest building on campus. With this, it is an architectural marvel on how it combines modern concepts with traditional. The glass siding shows improvement to becoming more contemporary, yet the brick and steel elements connect it to every other building at Penn State. I have never gone inside, so I can only imagine the modern interior. Overall, 10 out of 10.

Thomas Building: 7/10

The Thomas Building embodies classic American architecture. The sheer size of the building helps show what a cornerstone it is in the Penn State fabric. Additionally, the brick is critical for carrying out the theme and the classic style. Almost every Penn State student will have a class or two in Thomas, so it definitely earns its ranking. The only thing I would change is the interior of the building. The classrooms could definitely use some much needed TLC. 

Forum: 5/10

The Forum building holds a special place in my heart, as its design is extremely creative. The circular design is so different from traditional buildings, and it also offers more space for larger lecture halls. From the outside, it is not the prettiest building, which justifies the low rating. However, the creativity makes it stand out from other buildings. 

In conclusion, Penn State’s campus is one of the most beautiful campuses. In my eyes, it holds many traditional architectural concepts that bring forth the university’s history, while slowly incorporating modern touches throughout. I look forward to seeing what changes they make throughout the years, but it is a special thing that they will always stick to their roots: red brick and steel elements.

Health Policy and Administration student at Pennsylvania State University.