4 Books I Read Over the Break and Whether They’re Worth it

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

As a political sciences student, I spend a considerable amount of time interpreting scholarly articles, which is why I cherish my moments of leisurely reading. During the Christmas break, I dedicated time toward catching up on some reading, and was able to complete four books in the process. If you’re someone who, like me, prefers to know a book’s worth before committing your time and money to it, then here’s a rundown of the books I read and my verdict on whether they’re worth your while!

1. People We Meet on Vacation by Emily Henry – Nay

Given Henry’s popularity as a romance writer, I decided to pick up one of her most popular books to date. People We Meet on Vacation follows two best friends, Alex and Poppy, through their 10 summers vacationing together. After a mysterious incident occurs that drives a wedge between them, Poppy proposes a present-day trip in the hopes of saving their friendship. While Henry’s writing is engaging and her characters are full of life, I found myself disappointed by the book’s ‘big reveal’ near the end. It felt very anticlimactic and seemed easily solvable through straightforward communication between the characters.

2. The Only One Left by Riley Sager – Yay

As someone who loves thriller and mystery, The Only One Left immediately intrigued me. It follows a young caregiver, Kit McDeere, who is assigned to work for a woman accused of a public murder decades earlier. This book was unputdownable, and I was able to read it in one sitting. Despite my attempts to anticipate certain plot twists, I found myself genuinely shocked by the unexpected turns the story took. If you’re someone that likes to be put on the edge of their seat, this is certainly the book for you!

3. The Spanish Love Deception by Elena Armas – Nay

Another rom-com that I didn’t end up loving. The Spanish Love Deception follows a woman who enters into a fake relationship with her co-worker to accompany her to her sister’s wedding. While the Spanish setting of the book was definitely intriguing, the story ultimately fell flat for me. The characters didn’t feel entirely unique to me and the prolonged central conflict between them became tedious to the extent that it left me disinterested. So, while this is certainly an online favourite, I don’t think reading this book is worth it.

4. Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin – Yay

This book was easily my favourite read during the break. It delves into the lives of two childhood friends who, as they become adults, decide to become creative partners in the realm of video game design. Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow wasn’t so much about video games as it was about life and friendship, including the complexities of falling in love, falling out, and the rollercoaster of successes and failures that accompany the journey. It was truly heartwarming; I found myself crying at times, and I believe there’s a lot readers stand to gain from taking the time to read this.

To conclude, books are often a hit-or-miss, but that can be part of the fun! Reading is subjective and my opinions are certainly not fact. While some of the books above may not have necessarily been for me, they could be amazing for you!

Charlotte Naudie

Queen's U '24

Hey! My name is Charlotte, and I'm currently in my fourth year of Political Studies at Queen's University in Canada! I hope to graduate in 2024 with my BAH and then head to Law school in the fall. Outside of university, I love to read, run, and binge reality TV during my weekends.