Style > Fashion

Against Fast Fashion – First Steps to Shopping More Sustainably

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Fast fashion – we’ve all heard of it, we all know it’s bad, but do we all know how simple it can be to lower your impact? I’m the first person to acknowledge that I contribute to fast fashion, I love shopping and I’m not the best thrifter, however, I am trying to do better and I thought I’d share some tips!

First off, what exactly is fast fashion? It refers to “cheap, disposable clothing, made indiscriminately, imprudently, and often without consideration for environmental and labour conditions.” Fast fashion rose to popularity in the 1980s with the onset of globalization and hyper-consumption, and what started with stores like Zara, is now commonplace across the world. H&M, Forever 21, Fashion Nova, and Shein are obvious examples, but other more expensive stores like Urban Outfitters aren’t much better. The constant churning of new trends and styles creates a cycle that results in exorbitant waste, and the pressure to keep up with the ever-changing fashion trends perpetuated by social media and consumer culture leave many feeling like there’s no other option.

When addressing fast fashion, it is crucial to remember that for many people, the low prices these stores offer are all they can afford. The difference is in what you do with the clothes you buy, not necessarily where you buy them. The problem lies in people buying cheaply made, unsustainable items and throwing them away a year later once they go out of style. I’m urging everyone to take a look at your shopping habits and reassess to see if you can shop more sustainably, and to help with that, here are some first steps!

Thrift and donate!

This is the most obvious one. By buying used clothes from thrift, vintage, second-hand, and consignment stores or online retailers you’re not contributing to any new clothing production. These stores are also perfect places to find some unique items that you’d never find anywhere else. Because of the rise in awareness about fast fashion, thrifting has risen in popularity and there are many different kinds of thrift stores, and many are dedicated solely to certain themes or decades. There are also excellent online retailers like Thredup, Depop, and Poshmark where you can buy directly from people selling. Additionally, when you’re looking to get rid of your own clothes, consider donating to second-hand stores or selling them yourself as it’s a much better alternative to simply throwing them out!

Consider your budget

We’ve all seen the clothing haul YouTube videos, they’re not a new phenomenon but lately, I’ve seen so many videos with titles like ‘I Spent $500 at Shein!” Honestly, if you have $500 to spend on clothes, spend it on sustainable, well-made items. For many people, higher-priced, higher-quality clothing is not within their budget, but for those who can afford it, consider buying less and buying better.

Do some research!

There are plenty of sustainable fashion brands out there that won’t break the bank. The website Good On You rates hundreds of brands on sustainability and provides some recommendations as well. Additionally, there are lots of articles out there rounding up different sustainable companies at all different price points. Try finding some alternatives in the same price range you usually shop for and give them a shot!

Don’t buy things you don’t need

This is the easiest. Try reassessing if you really need new clothes or you just want them because of the trends. I’m not saying don’t buy any new clothes, but maybe think a little longer before making any impulse purchases. This is something I am still trying to be better at, but it’s definitely doable, and the most straightforward way to lessen the impact of fast fashion!

Anabella is a fourth year student at Queen's University majoring in global development studies. She loves reading, music, movies, writing, and travelling!