World AIDS Day: Raising Awareness and Uniting the World in the Fight Against AIDS

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

World AIDS Day is each year on December 1st. The first World AIDS Day was held in 1988. World AIDS Day seeks to unite everyone worldwide to fight AIDS and commemorate the individuals who have died. It is estimated that globally 33.3 million people have HIV, and between 1981 and 2007, 25 million have died from the virus. World AIDS Day is the chance to learn the facts about HIV and use your knowledge to help others learn about HIV. Increasing the knowledge about HIV and AIDS is one of the main ways to combat the virus and raise public awareness.

A few common facts about HIV that are important to know include:

• HIV is not passed through spitting, biting, or using utensils.
  • HIV is passed on through infected bodily fluids, including by unprotected sex, sharing needles, syringes, etc.
  • You can now get tested for HIV through getting a painless mouth swab.
  • There is still no cure or vaccine for HIV.

There are events going on around Memphis to observe World AIDS Day. A few of them are the following:

• Memphis Health Center, Inc. will observe Word AIDS Day on Friday, November 30, 2012 with a Candle Light Memorial in their main conference room at 360 E. H. Crump Boulevard from 10:45 am – 12:00 PM. This event will work to further HIV awareness, and the importance of testing. We will also feature a video & testimonials of individuals that have been impacted by this disease.
  • Le Bonheur Community HIV Network invites everyone to launch a floating water lantern to remember those who have died from HIV/AIDS and those who are currently living with HIV/AIDS on December 1st at 5 PM. It will be at Mississippi River Greenbelt Park (on the far North end of Mud Island at the new boat ramp). Here is a link with directions: http://www.hivmemphis.org/resources/media_room/2012/11/19/world-aids-day-2012-with-le-bonheur-community-hiv-network.522321
  • Choices is partnering with Caritas Village to show Love Choice, a short film depicting a love story directed by a Memphis man at Studio on the Square on December 1st at 10 AM.

In order to show support on National AIDS Day, make sure to wear a red ribbon on the 1st!

Kinney Women's Service Coordinator, Rhodes Class of 2013, Lover of cupcakes and icecream