This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rollins chapter.

People of all ages and backgrounds love this show for its snappy dialogue, eccentric characters, vibrant outfits, and of course- Midge Maisel herself. Midge is a housewife from 1950s NYC who accidentally became a stand up comedian after her husband left her. She has a lot to learn about comedy and the world in general, being left to her own devices for the first time. 

Season 3 ended with a defining moment in Midge’s career. At the last possible second she was fired from being the opening act on tour with a famous singer. Season 4 picks up with an angry stand up routine and a violent breakdown from the downtrodden comedian and her manager, Susie. They have some of their famous quick-witted banter within the first few minutes. The soundtrack that accompanies this chaos features classics like Ella Fitzgerald, Rosemary Clooney, Frank Sinatra, and more.

Our first glimpse of Midge’s parents (fan favorites) in this season does not disappoint. The comedic, head-spinning dialogue between Abe and Rose is a show staple. The ferris wheel scene in episode one is a classically entertaining example of this. We also get to see more interactions between Midge’s ex husband and Susie, which is a welcomed addition to the show. There is one scene that seemed very out of character where Susie encounters a creepy and mysterious magician in a bar that temporarily transports her to a path in the woods. The scene ends quickly and isn’t addressed at all afterwards. It’ll be interesting to see if it’ll be brought up later in the season. 

“Rumble on the Wonder Wheel” is an enticing opening episode that made me interested in how the rest of the season will go. In the last few minutes, Midge implores her manager, Susie, to change the comedy business for her. She wants to become a headliner so that she can say whatever she’s thinking on stage, without worrying about anyone else’s opinion. We’ll see if Season 4 lives up to the standard of the previous seasons. Either way, I’ll be sticking around to see Gilmore Girls star Milo Ventimiglia’s much anticipated appearance into the world of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.

Natasha Luce

Rollins '23

Natasha Luce is a double major in Environmental Studies and Music major at Rollins College. She has always enjoyed reading and writing as a creative outlet.