Lindsay Thompson-Music Festival Miami Ultra Lights Stage Concert Balloons Music Edm
Lindsay Thompson / Her Campus

Blackpink is ready for the next chapter of their careers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

After a two-year-long hiatus, Blackpink has come back with a new album, and it is definitely worth talking about. For their second full-length album, Born Pink, the group released 8 new songs. The album has that signature Blackpink touch while also experimenting with new sounds. Alongside their usual mix of Pop and Hip-Hop, we can find Disco influences in the song ‘Yeah Yeah Yeah’ (co-written by Rosé and Jisoo). Another song on the album, ‘The Happiest Girl,’ features a beautiful ballad and melody. Both showcase the “Pink” side of the group. In addition to these new sounds, the quartet of Kpop stars display improved singing, rapping, and dancing skills.

Every scene in the title track music video, ‘Shut Down,’ is a reference to previous music videos. Each of the girls literally close the door on their past, letting us know that they are ready to step into the future. Born Pink stands as a new era for these four artists.

This new beginning is met with difficult times for Jennie, who is facing yet another dating scandal and receiving hate for it. This isn’t the first time that the rapper has been the target of hate due to her rumored dating life. Similarly, Lisa also received hate last year for being Thai and showing it proudly in her solo song ‘Lalisa.’ Listening to the album with this in mind leads us to look at the songs in a different light. The song ‘Tally’ in particular, really seems to be the girls’ answer to everything that haters have put them through over the years.

The chorus puts it very clearly:

“I say ‘fuck it’ when I feel it

‘Cause no-one’s keeping tally

I do what I want with who I like” 

These lyrics resonate with Jennie’s situation, and although the song was most likely written before the latest scandal, it still furthers impact. She is using her art to tell the world that she doesn’t care what people think of her dating life anymore. 

This song as a whole really portrays the idea that the quartet is done letting people’s opinions define them. This leads us to believe that this new beginning isn’t just an artistic one.

Johanna is an ecchange student from France at Rutgers – New Brunswick. She is an English major. Her hobbies include dancing, writing and fashion.