Culture > News

Why Football Fans Need to Stop Heckling Taylor Swift

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

America’s sweethearts: Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce. But, are football fans doing too much?

Ever since Taylor has started going to her boyfriend Travis Kelce’s football games, outrageous football fans have been heckling her. Taylor Swift has gone to twelve Kansas City Chiefs games and at every single game the cameras at one point or another cut to her. Which makes sense because of who she is. However, does she really want the attention at the games? Swift seems content going to her boyfriend’s game to support him and everytime she goes on the screen, football lovers boo her or tell her that she’s “ruining football” when all she does is go to the games.

At the most recent game which secured the AFC championship, Taylor was seen walking with Brittany Mahomes; the wife of Kansas City quarterback, Patrick Mahomes, and you can see that some outraged fan is yelling at her “Hey Taylor, you’re ruining football”, Taylor continues to smile and wave, ignoring the comment. However, she shouldn’t have to ignore anything. Football fans need to understand that Taylor Swift just wants to support her boyfriend, and to let her have the peace that she deserves.

Not only this, but the media attention that Travis Kelce gets when he goes to her shows is completely different from the media attention that Taylor Swift gets at his games. At every show that Travis has gone to, all Taylor Swift fans are supportive and glad that she is in a happy relationship. This should be the same type of attention that she gets when she goes to his football games instead of the torturous booing and bullying she gets.

Leila DeVoe

Sacred Heart '27

Hi! My name is Leila and I major in elementary education. I love spending time with friends and family (especially my two puppies), shopping and doing yoga. I also am a member of the cross country and track teams at SHU and love to run and exercise.