This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

It’s no doubt SF is a beautiful city with beautiful beaches. Whether you want to hang out with friends, find some time for yourself, or enjoy some gorgeous views- San Francisco has the perfect spots for all lovers of the ocean.

Baker Beach- A San Francisco classic. With a gorgeous view of the Golden Gate Bridge and Marin on the horizon, you won’t ever want to leave. There are many super fun events hosted at Baker beach. Keep a look-out for any events happening throughout the year. Located in the Presidio of San Francisco, it is a quick 40 minute bus ride away from campus.

Ocean Beach- Looking to go on a swim? The cool waters of Ocean beach will refresh you on a warm and sunny San Francisco day. Locally known as the best spot for swimming, surfing, sunset viewing and bonfires, Ocean beach is no doubt a popular spot among students at SFSU. It’s only about a 25 minute bus ride from campus, with gorgeous views of Lake Merced along the way. 

Fort Funston Beach- With 200 foot sandy hills surrounding the beach shore, Fort Funston is the ideal for hikers and sunset lovers alike. Multiple trails connecting and winding from Lake Merced ensure a constant stream of gorgeous views. The amount of cute dogs off-leash are a plus! Just a 20 minute bus ride away. If you’re looking for a nice stroll, it’s about a 35 minute walk.

Mile Rock Beach- Another Hiker favorite. Beautiful rock art decorates this little hidden cove. A winding stairway passing through nature makes for a refreshing and serene workout. Go on a sunny day for a picturesque view of San Francisco’s bay. Right at Land’s End- it is the furthest away from campus, with a 47 minute bus ride to arrive. You will have no problem stretching out your legs traversing the Land’s End trail towards the beach.

Audra Martinez

San Francisco '24

4th year marketing major at San Francisco State University!