Farnsworth Fireplace TV Stand?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Farnsworth Fireplace TV Stand?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Courtesy of Walmart

Best Holiday Movies: Charlie Brown Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

As Halloween and Thanksgiving ends, everyone is preparing themselves for Christmas. One of the first things that people plan to do is make a list of movies to watch with their families. When it comes to watching any type of movie for any holiday, the movie franchise I love is Charlie Brown.  

Charlie Brown had an enormous impact on my childhood. Every time a Charlie Brown movie comes on, me and my family gather in the living room and enjoy the segment. The top three popular Charlie Brown movies that would come on during the Fall and Winter seasons were It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, and A Charlie Brown Christmas. It was one of the best memories I had with my family during the holidays. So, when I found out in 2020 that it was no longer going to be airing on tv, I was upset.  

Not only was Charlie Brown a great franchise, but it was also educational for children. For example, in the film A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, Charlie and his gang tell the story about the Mayflower Voyage and the meaning of Thanksgiving. Another example is during A Charlie Brown Christmas, the one thing that was memorable about this film is Linus’s speech about the true meaning of Christmas. Even if you were watching these movies for enjoyment, you would always learn something in the end.  

There are many more movies that are educational and are connected to different holidays. For New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day, they created Happy New Year, Charlie Brown. For Easter, it was It’s the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown. Along with those two, there are plenty of others that coincide with that specific holiday. Even when I was younger, teachers were showing their students Charlie Brown movies as it was beneficial to children’s education about the importance of these popular occasions. Not only that, but it also teaches children at a young age about the importance of self-worth. 

If you are still looking for those heartwarming movies to watch with your loved ones, I would highly recommend watching the Charlie Brown franchise. Even though they are no longer airing on live television, you can stream all the Charlie Brown movies on Apple TV+. If you start to love them as much as I did, you can turn this family movie night into a lasting tradition.  

Olivia Francis is a second-year member of the Her Campus at SBU chapter. She oversees the site’s culture, entertainment, and wellness verticals on the site, including mental health, relationships, TV shows, and movie coverage. Olivia is currently a second-year student majoring in Communications, Social Justice & Advocacy at St. Bonaventure University. Beyond Her Campus, Olivia has been published in many anthropologies over the years through an organization called Young Writers. She is also one of the leading coordinators for SBU's Break The Bubble. In her free time, Olivia enjoys writing poetry and short stories, along with taking walks while listening to her favorite music genres on Spotify such as Pop or R&B. One of her goals is to travel the world someday and explore new foods and customs. An interesting fact about Olivia is she is not only the first college gen student but, she is the first female in her family to go for a higher education.