This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

After what has felt like months upon months of gray skies, we vitamin-D-deficient students at St. Bonaventure were finally blessed with almost an entire week of sun as well as temperatures in the 50s. Skies were blue and unblemished by clouds, birds were chirping and energy levels were through the roof. This beautiful weather has granted me the opportunity to begin walking along the trails around campus once more, and there is nothing I love more than putting in my earbuds and listening to music until my shin splints settle in. 

Unfortunately for my work ethic, the sun has already branded the idea of summer on my mind, and although it’s only February, the summer Spotify playlists did make an early debut (this is quite possibly a new record). However, my pre-summer epiphany has inspired me to now provide guidance for your summer playlists so they’ll be ready come May/June. So, buckle in y’all, because this week I am bestowing upon you my country playlist.

Wait, wait, hear me out. Four-ish years ago, I adamantly hated all country music. I practically gagged over the Zac Brown Band songs my mom would play all summer, and I was appalled by the fact that my sister wanted to go down South for college and live amongst people who said “y’all” and wore giant belts. My vehement dislike for an entire genre was likely a bit dramatic, but in my defense, it was played in my household a lot, and I was not musically mature enough to appreciate it yet. But finally, after rediscovering a few songs here and there on my own, I have grown to love the warm and buttery sound of a good country song, only made better by a hot summer’s day or cool starry night.

So, whether you’re looking to dabble in the country genre a bit or just add to your playlist, you’ve come to the right place. Here, I’ve broken down some of my country playlist into categories based on mood, particular niche, and my favorites from particular artists. 

My favorite songs as a now-certified country lover:

Zach Bryan:

• “Overtime”
  • “East Side of Sorrow”
  • “Holy Roller” (feat. Sierra Ferrell)
  • “Hey Driver” (feat. The War and Treaty)
  • “Spotless” (feat. The Lumineers)
  • “Tourniquet”
  • “Sarah’s Place” (feat. Noah Kahan)
  • “Boys of Faith” (feat. Bon Iver)
  • “Dawns” (feat. Maggie Rogers)
  • “I Remember Everything” (feat. Kacey Musgraves)
  • “Revival”
  • “Motorcycle Drive By”

“For slow dancing around your kitchen”:

• “Wondering Why” by The Red Clay Strays
  • “Spin You Around (1/24)” by Morgan Wallen
  • “I Don’t Know a Thing About Love” by Cody Johnson
  • “Watermelon Moonshine” by Lainey Wilson
  • “Picture” by Kid Rock (feat. Sheryl Crow)
  • “Just a Kiss” by Lady A
  • “Need You Now” by Lady A
  • “Colder Weather” by Zac Brown Band

“On island time” country:

• “Start Over” by Zac Brown Band
  • “When the Sun Goes Down” by Kenny Chesney, Uncle Kracker
  • “Island Song” by Zac Brown Band
  • “Knee Deep” by Zac Brown Band (feat. Jimmy Buffett)
  • “Toes” by Zac Brown Band
  • “Two Pina Coladas” by The Sounds of Garth Brooks 
  • “Keep Me in Mind” by Zac Brown Band

“Cowboys in love”:

• “As She’s Walking Away” by Zac Brown Band (feat. Alan Jackson)
  • “Good Directions” by Billy Currington
  • “Head Over Boots” by Jon Pardi
  • “What Hurts The Most” by Rascal Flatts
  • “A Life Where We Work Out” by Flatland Cavalry, Kaitlin Butts
  • “Whiskey Glasses” by Morgan Wallen

“Yee-haw” bangers:

• “Make A Little” by Midland
  • “When it Rains it Pours” by Luke Combs
  • “Lovin’ On You” by Luke Combs
  • “Everything I Love” by Morgan Wallen
  • “Crash and Burn” by Thomas Rhett
  • “Make Me Wanna” by Thomas Rhett
  • “Crash and Burn” by Thomas Rhett
  • “You Proof” by Morgan Wallen
  • “Friends In Low Places” by The Sounds of Garth Brooks
  • “Dixieland Delight” by Alabama

“Trucks and fishing and such”:

• “John Deere Green” by HIXTAPE, Joe Diffie (feat. Morgan Wallen & HARDY)
  • “Pickup Man” by HIXTAPE, Joe Diffie (feat. Post Malone)
  • “Fill ‘Er Up” by Jon Pardi
  • “Beer Never Broke My Heart” by Luke Combs

Though, a little word of advice, maybe wait ‘til at least March to tune in if you want to avoid longing for summer while there’s still snow on the ground, like I will be doing.

From Buffalo, New York, Sofi is a junior English major with a biology minor at St. Bonaventure University. This year Sofi will be helping to run the chapter’s Instagram and VSCO as social media officer! Beyond Her Campus, Sofi plays for the school’s club soccer team, tutors in the Writing Lab, and is in the process of her first research project with the psychology department. When she is not watching Outer Banks or making yet another new Spotify playlist, Sofi can often be found walking the Allegheny River Valley Trail or curling up with a good book (typically of the romantasy genre). Sofi also loves snowboarding at Holiday Valley during the wintertime, and rooting for the Bills every week. Though Sofi is always sad when summer comes to an end, she is so excited to be reunited at last with her Bonas family, and with graduation fast approaching this May, Sofi plans to make every minute count before her undergrad days come to an end.