This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Disclaimer– I’m not a dermatologist and what works for me may not work for everyone with different skin types.

Tik Tok got me again.

I decided to try slugging. Now slugging isn’t anything new. Black people have been doing it for years and it’s also a part of Korean beauty skincare. It’s becoming more popular now because people are taking videos of their nighttime routines and singing the praises of Vaseline.

Skincare is a pretty big deal. Especially the skin on your face. Your face is the first thing people see when they look at you. And if you’re like me, you’re pretty self-conscious about your face. So, when I saw women on skincare Tik Tok taking videos of them looking like snails I decided to give it a go.

My skin is more on the normal side. Never oily or extremely dry. However, during the winter, not only do I get paler, but my skin starts to change also. I looked in the mirror three weeks ago and wasn’t happy with it. At that time, I was using Curology. In the summer it worked really well for my face. But now it’s eh. My skin looked and felt dry, patchy and a little wrinkly. It’s like no matter how much moisturizer I used or put on; my skin didn’t have enough.

I looked up slugging online and went down a rabbit hole that ended in: yes I have to try this. Skincare and beauty reviewers were raving about how they had soft and glowing skin. Someone even said they didn’t get acne anymore.

On some sites people are using the Aquaphor Healing Ointment. I’ve never heard of Aquaphor actually and didn’t feel like experimenting with it quite yet. So, with a trip to Walmart, I bought the CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser, the CeraVe nighttime moisturizer and Aveeno moisturizer with spf 15. I use those products daily. Before I go to bed, I use the face cleanser, put on the moisturizer and slather some Vaseline to seal it all in. I’ve been doing this for about 3 weeks now and don’t plan to stop anytime soon.

My face feels softer. It barely gets dry anymore. I don’t have that rough feeling. I wouldn’t say I’m glowing but I’m pretty close. Other skincare gals use serums, oils and other products, but I’m going to stick with my routine for now. I haven’t yet figured out a way to get rid of my dark eye circles and exhaustion lines but that is next on the list.

Slugging is a yay for me.

Hello! I'm a senior Journalism student with a minor in Criminology. I have a love for books, anime and cats. You can often find me curled up on the couch with a romance novel while sipping some coffee.