Top 8 Activities You Should Do This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.
  • Ice Skating 

Ice skating is a fun way to get outside or stay inside during this holiday season. Most towns and cities have a local ice skating or hockey rink where they will host open skate. Most of the time you will have to pay at least $5 for admission and depending on where you go, they may have you pay to rent skates if you don’t already own any. The best thing about going ice skating is that you don’t have to have any experience to go and have fun.

• Make a Gingerbread House 

Making gingerbread house is a classic winter activity. They now make a variety of gingerbread houses whether it’s Star Wars theme, Disney theme, or just a generic house. You can put these together with family, friends, or by yourself. If you’re looking where to get these you can find them at Walmart, Target, or most stores like Rite Aid or Walgreens too. 

• Watch a Christmas Movie 

If you’re feeling lazy and want to cozy up in bed you might as well turn on a Christmas movie. There are a plethora of movies on cable and streaming services such as Hulu and Netflix. Personally, I would recommend Christmas Vacation and Elf which are definitely my two favorites. 

• Volunteer 

Volunteering is such a nice way to give back to the community especially during the holiday season. Many churches, food pantries and animal shelters are looking for extra volunteers to help give back. If you have any spare time you should highly consider this because it is a free Christmas gift to those who benefit. Helping feed those who are less fortunate or even stopping by your local animal shelters to show the dogs and cats some love will make you feel so much better about yourself. 

• Baking Cookies 

Most families typically enjoying baking Christmas cookies and other sweet treats especially during the chilly weather. Go on Pinterest and find a recipe that sounds good to you and try making it yourself! If you gather with a couple friends and bake some cookies it could be fun to decorate them all together as a group. 

• Christmas Festival

It has been pretty popular recently for many towns and bigger cities to host some sort of Christmas festival. These festivals are usually outside if the weather is permitting but most certainly can be hosted inside too. Usually at a Christmas festival you may see different Christmas activities, shop at local vendors, enjoy cookies and hot chocolate, and sometimes they may even have a petting zoo sett up with some reindeer to see. 

• Go to a Christmas Lights 

This next activity is one of my favorite especially if the weather is too cold and you don’t want to walk around outside. Some places may have an area set up to drive your cars through and see Christmas lights set up. Typically when attending this they will have you turn the radio to a specific station because some of the lights will coordinate with holiday music. Now if you’re not looking to pay a decent amount to do this, you can simply drive by your neighborhood and see what lights community members may have set up at their own homes. 

• Host an Ugly Sweater Party

Lastly my favorite, an ugly sweater themed party! Ugly sweaters can actually be cute (how ironic) and it’s a nice and inexpensive way to gather with friends and family invite some people over and have a couple refreshments available as well. At this sort of party, you can play some games, do Christmas karaoke, have an ugly sweater contest, or even host a Secret Santa exchange. Ugly sweaters can be found at any retail store or if you’re feeling creative enough you can DIY your own ugly sweater. 

Amanda Ippolito is a member of the St. Bonaventure Her Campus chapter. She is responsible for writing at least one article each week. Amanda was a even a part of the printed magazine of HC at SBU. She is very excited to see what this year will bring and to continue sharing her writing! Amanda is a current junior studying early/childhood education, with hopes of becoming an elementary school teacher. Along with Her Campus she is also involved with the SBU Dance Team, Student Government Association, College Democrats, and The Bonaventure Education Association. During her free time Amanda loves to go thrifting, attend concerts, cook, and go on walks with her dog Bella. In any of her playlists you are guaranteed to find some songs by Fleetwood Mac, Drake, and even Deftones. A fun fact about Amanda is that she will put hot sauce on basically anything.