Celebrating Filipino American Heritage with My Faves

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Filipino American Heritage is celebrated throughout the month of October and I thought I would share some of my favorite Filipino dishes, movies, and music artists.

Filipino American culture is a part of my identity that I am proud of and continue embracing through supporting Filipino work. Although I am an American-born Filipino, I do my best to continue to stay in touch with my culture.

Favorite Filipino Dishes!

My top three favorite dishes would have to be Kare Kare, Sinigang, and Bistek. I would like to say that Filipino foods are probably some of the most flavorful dishes I have ever tasted. Growing up, I was fortunate enough to have the exposure to these dishes.

The flavors in these three dishes vary from being savory, rich, and sweet n’ sour. A lot of Filipino dishes tend to have the same flavor profiles but maintain their own uniqueness in the process of cooking and ingredients.

My All Time Favorite Filipino Movies!

A few of my favorite movies would have to be “Can’t Help Falling in Love”, “Isa Pa with Feelings”, and “Bride for Rent”. 

I  love watching these rom-com movies with my family and friends, where we get to laugh and enjoy the sappy plotlines. We normally fantasize about having these picture-perfect dates and meeting our perfect partner while watching of course.

Filipino Music Artists!

I love listening to music and being able to support Filipino American artists!

A couple of artists I recommend listening to are Michael Seyer, Yeek, and Toro y Moi.

Give any of these a try? Let us know what you think! @HerCampusSJSU

Hello Everyone! I am excited to join the writer's team at SJSU. My goal is to speak on topics ranging from mental health, self-discovery, and my journey as a college student! I am excited to explore more with the HER Campus community. Feel free to send any article ideas via Instagram @Kaela.Mae An interesting thing about myself is I was admitted into the SJSU chapter in Fall'22 as a writer. I have always had a great interest in creative writing in which I found this as the perfect opportunity to finally be self-expressive and vulnerable.