14 Reasons Why You Must Watch “Valentine’s Day” This Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SPU chapter.

Happy V-Day Her Campusers! With this lovely holiday coming up this week, it is the perfect chance for me to rave about one of all-time favorite Rom Coms, “Valentine’s Day”. This adorable 2010 movie features an all star cast of A-list celebrities and some of the best rom com actors. The story is all about intertwining couples and singles in Los Angeles as they break-up and make-up because of the pressures and expectations of Valentine’s Day. In honor of the February 14th holiday, I have compiled 14 reasons why this movie is a must watch this year…or every year!

1. The cast list is crazy!

Of course I have to start by commenting on the insane line up of actors and celebrities this movie features! The film officially stars (in alphabetical order) Jessica Alba, Kathy Bates, Jessica Biel, Bradley Cooper, Eric Dane, Patrick Dempsey, Hector Elizondo, Jamie Foxx, Jennifer Garner, Topher Grace, Anne Hathaway, Ashton Kutcher, Queen Latifah, Taylor Lautner, George Lopez, Shirley MacLaine, Emma Roberts, Julia Roberts, and Taylor Swift. Not to mention all of the amazing supporting actors that pop into the movie to make this cast even more exciting! Every year when I rewatch this movie I see someone and say, “oh ya! I forgot sthey were in this too!”. 

1. There are over 10 plot lines

With a cast this packed, you might wonder, “what are they all doing the whole time?” I can assure you there is plenty going on! With over 10 different plot lines, every character is worked into part of the story. Every plot line deals with both the trials and joys faced on Valentine’s Day in Los Angeles, from a 10 year old boy dealing with unrequited love, all the way to grandparents facing the troubles of a long marriage. With this many storylines you are guaranteed to stay interested and engaged throughout the whole movie.

1. The plot lines intertwine

One of my favorite parts of this movie is that piece by piece, all of these plot lines begin to intertwine. Someone from one storyline is related to or is friends with someone from another storyline, who works with someone from another storyline, and so on. Part of the fun is all the small reveals of who knows who! By the end of the movie you see how it is all one big story about what all can go down on this love-filled holiday. 

1. It all takes place in one day

Maybe it’s just me, but I love a movie where everything takes place in one day. “Valentine’s Day” does this by showing everything that can happen on the one holiday. I love romanticizing the idea that just one day can change your life! Besides- it’s a romcom. Nobody said it was going to be realistic! 

1. The vibes are immaculate

If you didn’t gather this by now, the vibes of this movie are just the best! Being that it is a movie all about Valentine’s Day, pinks, reds, flowers, hearts, and chocolates are seen in almost every scene. Every character’s outfits are perfectly on theme, and the decorations are everywhere. It is the perfect watch to help you celebrate the holiday! 

1. Taylor & Taylor 

Obviously I have to talk about it. Not only was this movie Taylor Swift’s film acting debut, but she plays Felicia, an adorable highschool girl who is head over heels for her new boyfriend Willy, played by Taylor Lautner! This was the first time the two Taylor’s met and worked together, and began their real life relationship during the fall of 2009. So basically, this movie is the reason we have the song “Back to December” – you’re welcome Swifties! 

1. The Soundtrack

Speaking of Taylor Swift, this movie has a perfect soundtrack! Starting with Swift herself, “Today was a Fairytale” is played multiple times in the film and became the movie’s unofficial theme song, showing the love and magic in the air on Valentine’s Day. The rest of the soundtrack features typical rom com music such as, “Say Hey (I Love You)” by Michael Franti, “I’m In The Mood For Love” by Jools Holland, and “For Once In My Life” by Stevie Wonder.

1. Ashton Kutcher. (he’s a florist?!)

Ashton Kutcher is so lovable in this movie, as he plays Reed Bennett, a florist who runs the bustling flower shop, Sienna Bouquet. I like almost anything Ashton Kutcher does, but this role in particular I just love! He plays such a funny and sweet guy in this movie, and come on- he’s a florist on Valentine’s Day. What could be better! 

1. Director Gary Marshall

“Valentine’s Day” was directed by Gary Marshall who is well known for directing many other famous movies such as “Pretty Woman,” “The Princess Diaries,” and his other two holiday based movies, “New Years Eve” and “Mothers Day.” I don’t know about you, but if he directed “The Princess Diaries,” I trust him. 

1. “The Princess Diaries” Cast Appearances

Gary Marshall is also known for bringing actors from older projects on to new one’s! This is seen quite a bit in this movie, as you can spot 5 princess diaries actors as you watch. Anne Hathway (Mia Thermopolis) and Hector Elizondo (Joe) have major roles, but you can also see Kathleen Marshall (Charlotte), Larry Miller (Paolo), and Peter Allen Gogt (Lord Crowley), Matthew Walker (Captain Kip Kelley), and Anna A. White (Brigitta) in supporting roles throughout the film. 

1. George Lopez’s Out of Pocket Jokes

I’m not gonna spoil anything, but let me tell you George Lopez has some wild one liners. And I laugh every time!

1. Military Reunion Scene

Julia Roberts delivers an amazing military reunion scene that builds up through the whole movie! It’s only about a minute long, but it’s enough to shed a tear. This one scene adds so much to the movie, even though it’s short!

1. Ending bloopers 

One of my favorite rom com traditions is bloopers in the end credits, as the theme song plays in the background. This movie has some great bloopers and hilarious references to a few of the actor’s previous projects, including Julia Roberts in her movie “Pretty Woman.”

1. Something, or someone for everyone 

As you can see, I could talk on and on about how fun this movie is! It truly has something for everyone. A story for every stage of life, and every situation. There’s also a very good chance your favorite actor stars in it! I highly recommend you give this movie a chance this Valentine’s Day to bring some love and laughter into your holiday! 

Katie is a transfer sophmore at SPU, majoring in Early Childhood Education. She is from the San Francisco Bay Area, and spent the last two years as a youth ministry intern, working with middle school students and guiding them through the challenging pre-teen years. This is Katie's first year writing for HER Campus, and she is excited to join the team! She loves all things pop-culture and is looking forward to writing about topics she is interested in. In her freetime, Katie enjoys discovering new coffee shops, reading, watching sunsets, traveling, and going to concerts! She is a major Swiftie (Taylor Swift Fan) and her favorite TV show is Gilmore Girls.