‘Tis the Season: No Problem Bringing Out the Holly Jolly Decor in November

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SPU chapter.

Toss out the pumpkins and put up the Christmas tree, because it is never too early to start celebrating the most wonderful time of the year. As Benjamin Franklin stated, “A good conscience is a continual Christmas.” 

The order of Halloween to Thanksgiving to Christmas looks like a perfect set system to celebrate. However, there is no rulebook for spreading some love! That’s what the holidays are all about, especially Christmas.

Some might believe that spreading some holiday cheer in November is silly, claiming that it’s too early and Christmas belongs in December only. But seriously, with things like the pandemic going on, doesn’t everyone deserve something to lift their spirits?

Yes, Thanksgiving is the next holiday, revolving around family, turkey, and stuffing. Who wouldn’t like it? It’s an all you can eat buffet holiday. It officially marks the beginning of the Christmas season, but the very merry holiday has an entirely different effect on people.

It has a more meaningful and magical vibe. The holiday takes over the entire month of December. People put up a tree, red and green lights outside of their house, bake cookies, shop for gifts, and come up with an entire meal plan and guest list for Christmas Eve. 

So for goodness sake, blast Jingle Bell Rock, All I Want For Christmas, Winter Wonderland and Santa Baby in the car. If it brings joy, belt it out. If there are dull nights why not make some hot cocoa, eat some gingerbread cookies, and turn on the Hallmark channel, where there is bound to be a basic but fun Christmas movie. Some of my favorite movies that I would recommend are  Christmas Prince, Elf, Polar Express,The Grinch, and Holidate.

It’s okay to have the Christmas tree out for Thanksgiving or decorate the tree with ornaments after Thanksgiving dinner. To quote American author, Nora Roberts, “Nothing ever seems too hard, or too sad when you’ve got a Christmas tree in the living room.” It’s exciting, whether it’s a fake or real tree. Going through the boxes of ornaments accumulated over the years; reminiscing over childhood memories reminds people what the holiday is about: love.

Plus, everyone’s lives have turned upside down the past couple of years because of COVID-19. Places have shut down, people have lost loved ones, and isolation has been an absolute pain in the neck. The world was put on hold, so it has been depressing to put it mildly. The world needs more joy and cheer in our lives right now, and if Christmas music and cheer relieves any of that stress, go all out for it.

Isn’t it a wondrous sight to drive around a neighborhood lit up with red and green bright lights. To experience a charming winter wonderland. Adding a wreath on the front door, putting the elf on the shelf, and hanging some mistletoe from the ceiling can add a fresh scent of pine and fun to a home before December hits.

Oh, and there’s also another part of the Christmas season that can catch anyone’s attention: ugly sweaters.

The kind of sweaters one can find at the bottom of a grandma’s closet or at the clearance section at Kohls. Dressing up with some ugly Christmas sweaters adds to the comical and festive side of the holiday. One might get a couple odd stares for wearing one in November, but who cares? 

Trick-or-treating is now over, and as fun as it is to carve a pumpkin or two, getting decked out for Christmas is just as exciting. Getting together with friends and family to shop, go ice-skating, and do a white-elephant gift exchange. There is no start-date for celebrating the joy of Christmas with others.

Hey! My name is Perris Larson and I am a sophomore at Seattle Pacific University! I am a journalism major with a minor in history. I journal on a daily basis, most of the time at one of my favorite coffee shops. I love traveling, and going on little adventures in the city with my friends (especially if it in involves grabbing a latte somewhere).