Grown-ish
Grown-ish
ABC Signature Studios

How to Host a Cozy Girl’s Night to Keep the Cold Away

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

It’s officially that time of year again. With the temperature quickly dropping, the sunset creeping up earlier and earlier each day, and the wind’s ability to almost knock you off your feet, the gloom of a St Andrews winter (on top of a busy deadline season) can be disheartening. But look no further because I have the perfect winter blues remedy. Nothing makes me feel happier and more at peace than surrounded by my closest friends with a mug of some toasty drink in my hand. Therefore, use this harsh weather as the perfect excuse to host the most fabulous, cozy girl’s night. 

Ambiance is everything, so I would make my living room, dorm, or wherever the party is being hosted look as comfortable as possible. Whether that’s piling on every pillow or throw blanket you own or lighting a couple of scented candles around the space (for Christmassy scents, I would recommend Spruce and Fir from Isle of Skye Co or the St. Eval Winter Thyme from Farmore Interiors), cultivating a warm and cozy environment is the most essential part of this girl’s night. 

Another crucial part of creating a cozy ambiance is to set the mood with the perfect playlist. I would craft a playlist in advance with soothing and peaceful music, which, for me, would include a lot of Taylor Swift, Hozier, and Noah Kahan. However, another option is to utilize the Made For You section of Spotify and choose from any of the niche playlists they’ve created that align with your tastes, put your daylist on shuffle or even use the HC St Andrews November Edition Playlist for when you’re not quite in the mood for Christmas tunes just yet! 

Next, concoct a fun and creative winter drink menu. As an avid hot chocolate and peppermint mocha drinker, I would incorporate both of these into the menu by elevating a simple hot chocolate with a splash of peppermint liqueur, Baileys Irish Cream, and a dollop of whipped cream to top it off. Another favourite of mine that my roommates and I handed out at our Friendsgiving was a Cranberry Aperol Spritz. We got creative by turning our leftover cranberry sauce into a syrup that we added to our spritzes. However, the easier route is to simply add cranberry juice to a regular Aperol Spritz and garnish it with an orange wedge and some cranberries. 

Once the space is comfortably ready, the drinks made, and the music queued up, it is time for the guests to arrive. To maximise levels of coziness, encourage your guests to don their chicest loungewear. This could mean anything from matching pajama sets to oversized sweaters to the warmest fuzzy socks and slippers. I would highly recommend the Skims Cozy Knit Bouclé pants, or what I refer to as my marshmallow pants, as they are incredibly comfy and my favourite pants to lounge around in. 

You have officially created the perfect movie marathon setup, meaning you need some sweet and salty snacks to pass around while watching. My favourite movie snack is popcorn with milk chocolate M&Ms mixed in. Another fun sharing option is to create a candy charcuterie board. You can arrange it with an assortment of your favorite candies, chocolates, and gummies. Some savoury options include truffle popcorn, which only requires drizzling regular popcorn with truffle oil and topping with parmesan cheese. Another excellent sharing option is to make a large tray of nachos loaded with all of your favourite toppings. 

Finding a movie that caters to everyone’s different tastes can be difficult so I would stick to timeless classics, romantic comedies, or nostalgic childhood movies. My holy grail movie options for a girl’s night are Mama Mia!, The Devil Wears Prada, 10 Things I Hate About You, How to Lose a Guy in 10 days, Pride and Prejudice (2005 version),  Emma (2020 version), and Twilight. If this girl’s night falls during Christmas time, my favourite festive girl’s night movie options are The Holiday and Love Actually. 

Whether it’s snuggling up on your dorm bed with friends or turning your living room into a peaceful oasis, I hope these ideas are helpful when thinking about curating your perfect girl’s night. So, embrace the chill of St Andrews winter with open arms, gather your closest friends, and let the magic of a cozy girl’s night chase away the winter blues. Cheers to warmth, laughter, and unforgettable memories!

Addie Nelson

St. Andrews '26

Hi! I'm a second year at St Andrews studying English and Art History. Throughout my life, writing has been a way for me to engage with topics I deeply care about, and I can't wait to continue exploring this passion at Her Campus. Besides writing, I love reading, listening to music, and traveling!