Operation Sequel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

The sixth installment in the Bourne film franchise is an exciting action movie that addresses ideas of morality and technology in an interesting fashion while still centering the narrative on its title character, Jason Bourne.

One of the highlights of the film’s political aspects is its treatment of the CIA throughout the film – although it may seem on surface level that the CIA are the villains of the film, the movie demonstrates is that life is not so simple when it comes to villains and heroes, especially in matters of politics and country. CIA Director Robert Dewey’s Deep Dream gains access to citizens’ private information, but does so in the name of patriotism and defending the United States. Although this character is ultimately killed off during Bourne’s quest for revenge, the film does not fully condemn the director’s actions, choosing instead to leave the question open to audiences. This conflict also allows the film to address the idea of privacy in technology through the character of Aaron Kalloor, who is revealed to have sold his clients’ information to the CIA since they funded his startup, a link which ties the film to current issues. Mentions in the film to Edward Snowden highlights this parallel to current events develops the film’s storyline into one that allows audiences to consider world events more closely. 

The character of Heather Lee is also another standout of the film. She remains a mysterious enigma throughout the narrative, playing both sides in regards to the CIA and Bourne in order to further her ambition of becoming CIA Director. This sense of mystery raises more questions for the audience and maintains the film’s level of suspense, allowing the film’s climax to reach its peak with the audience is always wondering who Lee will support and whether or not she will give Bourne over to the CIA, even until the last minute. I also appreciate the lack of a romantic storyline between Lee and Bourne, as it would have detracted from the character’s role in the film. However, I had come into the film wanting to know more about Nicky Parson and her past with Jason Bourne, as there have been hints about their previous relationship throughout the other Bourne films. I was disappointed when the character was killed off just for the purpose of demonstrating the importance of the files and would have enjoyed more with the character. Having two female characters in an action movie isn’t impossible, you know.

In regards to the treatment of Bourne as a character and the exploration of his past in the film, I experienced mixed feelings. I enjoyed the idea planted throughout the film of Bourne perhaps reaching a tipping point and coming back into the fold of the CIA, as all the movies in the franchise thus far have shown him going rogue. The film leaves the question of Bourne’s return up in the air, with Lee confident that she will be able to bring him back, an interesting twist that leaves the audience wanting more. I did have some issues with the the flashbacks exploring David’s past, as they too repetitive throughout the film, while serving a narrow purpose with regards to the character – although the audience learned more about Bourne’s early days in the CIA and his reasons for signing up, the character himself still seems rather detached and closed-off. The flashbacks could also have been extended to show more of Bourne’s relationship with his father, in order to really shock the audience with the truth of his father’s death. As it was, I felt that the reveal was a little anti-climactic and shallow.

And of course, you cannot evaluate an action film without commenting on the action sequences. The film started off well with the sequences in Athens, maintaining suspense through the spectacle of the riots and executing an intense death scene for Nicky Parsons as the sniper mistakes her body for Jason’s. That being said, I felt that the fight with the hacker was a little out of place in the film, and that the narrative could have been better resolved if Bourne had been the one to exact revenge on Dewey for his father’s death, rather than Lee killing him to save Bourne.

FINAL EVALUATION: Interesting political aspect and character development within the film; flashbacks could have been better. Action scenes were well-done. 

SaveSave

SaveSave

Jenny Yau

St. Andrews

I'm Jenny Yau, 19 and from Hong Kong. Reading, writing poetry and watching tv are my main obsessions. I am sometimes mistaken for a hermit, but I'm friendly once you get to know me :p
Meena Nayagam

St. Andrews

I am an American medical student at the University of St Andrews, Scotland. I have been an avid writer for several years, focusing mainly on creative writing. But I hope to be more involved in our university's culture, particularly by bringing interesting information to all of our students!