This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

The temperature is rising, flowers are starting to bloom – spring is here. Even though St Andrews won’t become tropical in its temperature, few degree increase and some extra sunlight will make a wonderful change; such as finally retiring the winter trench coats and thick cable knit jumpers. However, I keep wondering what I’m going to wear for the rest of the university term since I’ve been used to dressing for freezing temperatures. After asking a few of my friends, many of whom are far more knowledgeable about styling different outfits than myself, I’ve found a few trends which are becoming new staples for my wardrobe this spring.”

1. Maxi Skirts 

Whether you’re attending a garden party or a daytime event, or simply strolling around town going to lectures, maxi skirts are a classic clothing item that can be worn all throughout spring. Even if the temperature isn’t perfect, you can layer thermal leggings underneath the skirt and pair it with a warm jumper. Maxi skirts with floral or colourful patterns can be the perfect (and comfortable) spring piece! 

2. Bold colours 

Even though it’s now spring, the skies in St Andrew’s are still frequently grey, so bold and colourful pieces are necessary for bringing some light into your day-to-day life. Button down shirts are wardrobe classics that can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion and can be paired with a variety of bottom options such as miniskirts, trousers, or jeans.  

3. Loafers 

The iconic Gucci horse-bit loafers are being replicated and looked to for inspiration in many new loafer styles. Since the weather is warming up and hopefully the rain will now subside, suede or leather loafers are brilliant shoes that can easily transition from day to night.  

4. Blazers 

Blazers are the perfect item that can pull any outfit together without looking too formal. Paired with jeans or even a dress, the versatility of a blazer, and the convenience of having another warm clothing layer, makes it the perfect spring piece. My favourite blazer is so versatile that I have worn it to formal drinks receptions, clay pigeon shooting, or just walking around town.  

With clothing trends constantly changing and new styles becoming more popular, it can be difficult to predict what is in or out of style for a specific season. However, with these staple pieces you can be sure to bring the best of spring into your wardrobe! 

Lily Algate

St. Andrews '26

Hi, I'm Lily and I'm a first year student from England studying Psychology, English and Management at the University of St Andrew's. Some of my favourite things are listening to music, reading, and going to festivals and concerts!