This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Warning: SPOILERS AHEAD!

A string of child abductions leaves many in a neighborhood on edge in Scott Derrickson’s, The Black Phone. Protagonist, Finney, lives at home with his alcoholic father and his sister, Gwenny. Like most children with alcoholic parents, Finney had to grow up quickly. What seems like a typical town and the story of a boy battling hardship at home takes a turn for the worst when Finney is taken by a masked serial killer on his way home from school. In the basement of his abductor’s home, Finney is met with a mattress, soundproof walls and a non-useable black phone that rings periodically. When Finney answers, he hears the voices of victims killed before him. 

Director Scott Derrickson crafts the storyline exceptionally in this coming-of-age supernatural horror film, which got a lot of buzz on Tiktok following its release in 2021. The movie is based on a short story, The Black Phone by Joe Hill. I was especially drawn in by the performances of the child actors that make up the bulk of the cast. When they felt fear, I felt fear. When they felt helpless, I did too. The movie focused on grief and played into the idea of “the other world”, or the place where those we encounter go after death who look out for us here on Earth. Like many of the better movies I’ve watched, The Black Phone will leave you on the edge of your seat and constantly wondering what will happen next. The movie has earned an R-rating. Despite this, I found it to be more of a thriller than a horror film. If you avoid “scary” movies, this would not be one I would pass up. If you are interested in true crime or are simply looking for an interesting movie, this would be perfect for your next movie night. It does involve children who are in danger so be aware of some triggering topics. If you’ve enjoyed movies like The Lovely Bones, Split, or The Room, I definitely recommend this movie. Throughout the film’s entirety, I can guarantee that you’ll be engaged and emotional.

Alysha Richards

St. John's '23

19| NY| Hello! My name is Alysha Richards and I am a junior at St. John's University in Queens. I am currently working towards a degree in Legal Studies, and a minor in Journalism. Writing has always been a creative outlet for me. Lover of all things Disney & Marvel.