An In Depth Analysis of my Three Favorite 1989 (Taylor’s Version) Vault Tracks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stevens chapter.

Taylor Swift’s re-released version of her iconic album “1989” serves as a remarkable reimagining of an album that marked a pivotal moment in her career. When “1989” was first unleashed upon the world in 2014, it ushered in a transformative period for Swift, changing not only her musical style but also her public image and the thematic undercurrents of her songwriting.

In 2014, Taylor Swift boldly made a departure from her country roots, embracing a vibrant, pop-infused sound that was a sonic departure from her earlier albums. The songs on “1989” were marked by infectious hooks, pristine production, and a newfound sense of confidence and empowerment. Tracks like “Shake It Off” and “Blank Space” showcased her ability to craft pop anthems that would define an era.

However, this evolution was met with more than just critical acclaim. Swift’s transition to pop music was met with its fair share of scrutiny, much of which was deeply rooted in sexism. The industry and media often imposed double standards on female artists who dared to break away from established molds, and Swift was no exception. She was frequently subjected to criticism that questioned her authenticity and accused her of cashing in on fleeting trends.

The criticisms, though misguided, didn’t deter Swift. She navigated this period with grace and resilience, demonstrating a commitment to staying true to her artistic vision. Her decision to re-record her albums, including “1989,” is not merely a reclaiming of her musical catalog; it’s an assertion of her independence and creative agency.

In revisiting “1989,” we’re not only experiencing a rekindling of Swift’s signature pop brilliance, but we’re also witnessing an artist who continues to evolve and mature. The re-released version of this album provides an opportunity to delve deeper into the meanings behind her songs, appreciating them in the context of her entire discography. It’s a testament to her artistic integrity and her unwavering determination to overcome adversity, and it invites us to rediscover one of the most iconic albums of the 21st century. In this article, I will analyze three of my favorite vault tracks from this album, “Say Don’t Go”, “Is it Over Now”, and “Suburban Legends”

Say Don’t Go

This song beautifully captures the theme of unrequited love and the heartbreak that accompanies it. From the very outset, Taylor Swift’s vulnerability is laid bare, revealing the harsh reality that her love is unlikely to be reciprocated. The phrase “a shot in the darkest dark” is employed to emphasize the challenging and uncertain nature of her predicament, accentuating the feelings of helplessness and exposure.

As the song unfolds, a recurring theme of precariousness and emotional tightrope-walking emerges. Swift finds herself walking a fine line, fervently hoping for a change or for her feelings to be met with reciprocation. Her emotions are so intense that she’s willing to hold on just a bit

longer, a sentiment embodied in the phrase “I hold my breath a little bit longer.” The image of being “halfway out the door, but it won’t close” vividly portrays her struggle to move on, highlighting the enduring emotional attachment to the person she loves.

The pre-chorus conveys Swift’s palpable longing. She yearns for her beloved to express a desire for her to stay. Her plea, “I would stay forever if you say, ‘Don’t go,'” reflects the depth of her emotional investment and her desperate hope that her love will be acknowledged and reciprocated.

The chorus amplifies the pain and betrayal Swift is experiencing. The object of her affection has not only failed to reciprocate her feelings but has also led her on and given her false hope. The metaphor of “twisting the knife” suggests a deliberate and cruel infliction of emotional pain. Swift is left feeling abandoned, deeply wounded, and in emotional agony, as she describes the experience as “bleedin'” and “screamin’.” The chorus powerfully underscores the profound emotional distress caused by the person’s actions.

In summary, the song paints a vivid picture of unrequited love, portraying the vulnerability, longing, and heartache experienced by Taylor. The recurring theme of emotional precariousness and her fervent desire for reciprocation creates a compelling narrative. The chorus intensifies the emotional turmoil, accentuating the pain and betrayal she feels.

Is it Over Now?

The song delves into a narrative of a past romantic relationship and its aftermath. It conveys themes of jealousy, uncertainty, and lingering emotions, all within the context of Taylor’s storytelling. The “Is it?” repetition in the introduction and post-chorus becomes a motif that symbolizes the persistent questioning and doubt that permeates the narrative.

As the verses unfold, the lyrics suggest that Taylor is in deep reflection about the conclusion of the relationship and the sense of solitude that now envelops her. The phrase “still wouldn’t go” hints at a state of emotional inertia in her ex-partner, underscoring the idea that the connection they once shared lingers in Taylor Swift’s heart.

The pre-chorus introduces a temporal shift, where Taylor Swift envisions her ex-partner moving forward in new relationships. This scenario stirs potent feelings of jealousy and resentment within her, particularly emphasized by the imagery of “takeout coffees” and “unsuspecting waiters.” These details paint a picture of the ex-partner actively participating in the dating world, a reality that continues to emotionally affect Taylor Swift.

The chorus, posed as a question, confronts the notion of closure following the breakup. It suggests that she may have engaged in some form of retaliatory or emotionally turbulent response to her ex-partner’s actions. The lyrics hint that the ending of the relationship might not have been as clean and definitive as it initially appeared.

The post-chorus reinforces the ongoing theme of questioning and uncertainty by repeating “Is it?” This repetition serves as a mirror to Taylor Swift’s ongoing internal struggle to comprehend the complex emotions and events that have unfolded.

In the second verse, a reference to a loss of control emerges, possibly during or after the relationship. The vivid imagery of “red blood, white snow” may symbolize the tumultuous and emotionally charged ending. The mention of a “blue dress on a boat” likely alludes to a specific memory or event that still lingers in Taylor Swift’s thoughts. The verse concludes with the statement, “Your new girl is my clone,” underscoring the idea that the ex-partner’s new love interest bears striking similarities to Taylor, reinforcing the notion that the ex-partner has not entirely moved on.

In sum, the song offers a multifaceted exploration of the emotional aftermath of a breakup, steeped in themes of jealousy, nostalgia, and persistent uncertainty, all conveyed through Taylor’s storytelling. The recurring questions throughout the song poignantly depict her ongoing struggle to come to terms with the relationship’s conclusion and the actions of her ex-partner. The song’s skillful storytelling, emotive imagery, and layered emotions contribute to its depth and complexity.

Suburban Legends

The song commences with a portrayal of past interactions, where anonymous calls played a role. Taylor only grazes over these moments, considering them as peripheral as a slippery, carefree summer hose. Despite any inklings of curiosity or concern, she chose to let these incidents slide, opting for forgiveness and moving forward. Swift characterizes the person she addresses as magnetic, their allure almost obnoxiously overpowering, radiating a coolness that sharply contrasts with her own humble existence. It’s a vivid portrayal of admiration and the irresistible appeal of this individual.

The chorus amplifies a sense of nostalgia and a deep yearning for something more. Swift openly admits that she didn’t enter this situation to make friends, implying that the connection held a deeper significance. The term “suburban legends” suggests that these two individuals stand out and are revered in their suburban community. The way this person held and kissed Swift left a profound impact, hinting at a deep emotional connection with the potential to forever disrupt her life.

The second verse delves into a fantasy filled with surprise and hope. Swift imagines that their mismatched star signs could defy expectations and amaze those around them. The reference to a class reunion underscores the cherished memories of reuniting with this person. Standing in a 1950s gymnasium emphasizes the vividness of these recollections.

The chorus repeats, reinforcing the idea that this connection was destined for something more significant than mere friendship. The person retains a special place in Swift’s heart, and their kisses have the power to forever disrupt her life.

The song’s final section employs a ticking clock as a metaphor for the passage of time and a relationship that has disintegrated. Swift paces down the person’s block, hinting at a longing to reconnect or relive the past. However, the harsh reality sets in that the person won’t return. The crashing waves on the shore symbolize the inexorable march of time, and the unknocked door signifies the end of the relationship. Swift’s life has been irrevocably altered and scarred by unfulfilled desires and the pangs of nostalgia.

In essence, this song vividly portrays a past relationship that remains etched in Taylor Swift’s memory. It’s a narrative of yearning, nostalgia, and the profound impact that this person had on her life. The lyrics underscore the enduring power of past connections and the poignant, bittersweet nature of yearning for something that may never return.

In conclusion, “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” stands as a testament to Taylor Swift’s enduring artistry and her unwavering commitment to reclaiming her musical legacy. This reimagined album not only recaptures the infectious pop brilliance that defined a pivotal moment in her career but also offers a deeper insight into the meanings and emotions woven into her songs. In the face of unwarranted criticism and the challenges of transitioning to pop music, Swift’s decision to re-record her albums, including “1989,” is a bold assertion of her independence and creative autonomy. As we revisit this iconic album, we celebrate an artist who continues to evolve, mature, and challenge industry norms, solidifying her status as a musical luminary and an inspiration to countless fans around the world. “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” not only brings the past to life but also paves the way for an exciting and ever-evolving future in Taylor Swift’s illustrious career.

Janet is a 4/4 Computer Engineering major at Stevens Institute of Technology. Her interests include art, photography, and literature, and in her free time she likes to read, bake, and hang out with friends!