pink shirt jeans butt back pockets levis teal wall
Molly Longest / Her Campus
Style > Fashion

The Best Thrift Shops Near Stony Brook Univeristy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

If you are looking for some great secondhand finds near Stony Brook’s main campus, you have a few options. Whether your style is y2k girlie, light pink balletcore, a slightly grunge 90s vibe or something completely different – thrifting offers great options to find unique pieces. These pieces are usually discounted and come with the benefit of being more sustainable because of their second hand nature. Now, I am a huge thrifting fan and while my style stays fairly classic, I love knowing that all of my pieces have backstories and adventures woven into their seams. I also love knowing that every time I wear that piece I am giving second life to are article of clothing and keeping it out of a landfill. Because about 80% of my wardrobe is sourced secondhand, I know all of the best spots for thrifting as a Stony Brook student so here are my top places and why.

Savers – Okay, I am willing to admit that Savers is my favorite thrift store. They have a great loyalty program, and a ton of home decor options. I love sourcing cookware, serving platters, and holiday decor here in addition to cute clothing pieces. These stores (yes there are multiple on LI) have a little of everything. The sweater selection is always immaculate and this is a great place to find well known brands like American Eagle, Levi’s and Ann Taylor.

Perks: Donations get 20% off coupon, loyalty members get weekly coupons!

Best finds: oversized oatmeal Aerie sweater that I live in, Ann Taylor blazer perfect for interviews, and the cutest football sweater so I can enjoy game days and still feel cute. I also found one of my friends a pair of like new Levi’s skinnies.

Island Thrift – This is the best thrift store near campus only a 10 minute drive from campus. They have a huge and I mean huge, selection of clothes for both men and women. This is an all afternoon kind of thrift store. If you need a formal dress … or a wedding dress for a costume – this is a place to go because they have an entire section of dress that are all formal wear. This is the perfect place to go if you are looking for specific pieces since they have such a huge selection.

Perks: Tuesdays are 50% off all clothes and other daily sales!

Best finds: Floral patterned satin Cotton On midi dress (new with tags), SoulCycyle cropped sweatshirt and Abercrombie & Fitch plaid skirt.

Plato’s Closet – There is only one Plato’s on Long Island and while its not my favorite place to sell clothes, their selection is always so cute and trend!

Perks: Opportunities to sell clothes for cash.

Tag us in all of your thrift finds @hcstonybrook!

Julia is a national writer for Her Campus. While she writes for all verticals, her focus is the wellness section, bringing you everything you need to know about relationships, astrology, and the best ways to get down and dirty. Julia is a grad student at Syracuse University where she studies communications. She is a graduate of Stony Brook University, where she studied journalism with a minor in women's studies. During her time at SBU, she was a VS PINK campus rep, and an active member of Her Campus @ SBU. When she isn't writing, you can find Julia reading a smutty romance novel, hitting up her local crystal shop, or thrifting with an iced oat milk latte in hand. She's a Capricorn (but you probably already knew that) and a practicing yogi.