freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Is There Really A Psychology Behind Cuffing Season?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s. All holidays known to be celebrated around friends, family and loved ones. Who would want to be alone during that time? As October quickly transitions into November, it seems perfect to join in “cuffing season”. A quick and easy relationship that’s only temporary until spring. And better yet, no more irritating family questions about your love life.  Seems perfect, right? Well, not exactly. A psychological correlation between the colder temperatures and opportunities to get into relationships becomes the ultimate convincing component creating a never-ending cycle. 

What even is cuffing season? First appearing on Urban Dictionary in 2011, the term cuffing season is best defined as coupling up during the fall and winter months to find someone to be in a serious relationship with. Who else wouldn’t want to live their aspirations to finally fall in love in October? But how could there be a psychological tie to this?  

Well, seeing that cuffing season occurs during the colder months of the year, a study published by ScienceDirect found a connection between serotonin and sunlight affecting the brain. While conducting their study, it was found that the correlation of temperature to be extremely influential on our mood. Knowing the temperature is significantly colder during these months, this drops serotonin levels in sync to the temperatures. With this, feelings of loneliness decline while the increase of human connection develop a stronger force.  

So… what does this have to do with cuffing season? With six months out of the year dedicated to a hook-up-mindset will revolve around a constant cycle if left unresolved. Finding ways to cope and work through the process of self-love is important, or any self-care during these tough months can end this cycle.  

Recent article by Sarah Reagan and Kristie Street provide five reminders to have while flying through the cuffing season months. They recommend communication, have patience and take it easy, create boundaries, and take precaution.  

Overall, these colder months are important to focus on enjoying the time in the way you want and not basing a relationship on your worth. Balance is important to maintain, especially with a mindset that loneliness draws the need to find someone to distract you from it. Learning how to navigate alone these next few months or using the strategies to hold a healthy relationship will successfully set you up for the spring and summer months, and hopefully all year round. 

Aiko is a freshman majoring in English with a concentration in literature. Her hobbies include reading, writing, crocheting, and collecting vinyls. Future articles you may see are book and film reviews, lifestyle posts, and personal experiences!