Culture > News

Losing A ‘Friend’; The Loss of Matthew Perry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Sadly, on October 8th, fans around the world received the devastating news that actor Matthew Perry passed away. All that is known as of now is that Perry, age 54, passed away in his hot tub at his Los Angeles home. His cause of death is still yet to be determined. Matthew Perry was a Hollywood actor best known for his role as Chandler Bing in the popular sitcom “Friends”. Since his time on “Friends,” he has written his own book, sparsely appeared in movies, and has notably talked about his sobriety after battling addiction with drugs and alcohol. 

After the news surfaced, an outpouring of grievance was spread all around social media and news outlets as fans were shocked and saddened by the tragic news. Not only were his fans sending their condolences and sharing their heartache, but other celebrities were as well. Celebrities have paid their respects and shared fond memories of Matthew Perry. Old co-stars have mourned on social media, releasing heart-touching sentiments to remember Perry.

Maggie Wheeler, who played Janice on ‘Friends,’ released a statement on Instagram saying, “What a loss. The world will miss you, Matthew Perry. The joy you brought to so many in your too short lifetime will live on. I feel so very blessed by every creative moment we shared.” 

Morgan Fairchild, who played Chandler Bing’s mother on ‘Friends,’ took to Twitter to share her sympathy. Fairchild wrote, “I’m heartbroken about the untimely death of my ‘son,’ Matthew Perry. The loss of such a brilliant young actor is a shock. I’m sending love & condolences to his friends & family, especially his dad, John Bennett Perry, who I worked with on Flamingo Road & Falcon Crest”. 

The other 5 main co-stars of ‘Friends,’ Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow, Courtney Cox, David Schwimmer, and Matt LeBlanc, have put out a joint statement. 

“We are all so utterly devastated by the loss of Matthew. We were more than just cast mates. We are a family. There is so much to say, but right now we’re going to take a moment to grieve and process this unfathomable loss. In time we will say more, as and when we are able,” their statement proceeds. “For now, our thoughts and our love are with Matty’s family, his friends, and everyone who loved him around the world.” 

This statement follows the hate that the ‘Friends’ co-stars have received over social media from ‘fans’ awaiting their response to Perry’s passing. 

Arianna is a writer for Her Campus, Tampa chapter and a sophomore at the University of Tampa. She is majoring in communications and media studies with one minor in advertising and another in public relations. She enjoys traveling, listening to new music, and reading.