‘Endgame’ was just the beginning: what’s in store for the MCU?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

After killing off the leader of the Avengers, viewers have said Marvel has taken a turn for the worse. In the wake of Avengers: Endgame, popularity has declined, and many of the movies and shows produced afterward have seen a fraction of the success the landmark film did. 

However, the MCU is far from over. It’s just beginning. 

Contrary to popular opinion, Tony Stark’s, AKA Iron Man, death signifies the beginning of a new era of Marvel. The original characters have been replaced by newer, fresher faces to take the franchise in bold new directions, with different heroes and exciting storylines. 

Similarly, in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, Rocket the Racoon is named the new leader of the Guardians after the original Guardians part ways. Although it is sad to see beloved characters go, it gives Marvel the chance to bring in fresh faces for the next generation of superheroes. 

To begin Phase 4, the MCU introduced various new shows, including Wandavision, Loki, and The Falcon and the Winter Solider, to name a few. Many of its shows are centered around characters from the movies, going more in-depth into heroes who were typically not the main focus of the franchise before. As a result, viewers are able to gain new perspectives on some of their favorite characters. 

Despite innovative ideas and emerging talent, ratings have yet to bounce back since Endgame.

Arguably one of Marvel’s best movies since Endgame, the film Deadpool & Wolverine, starring Ryan Reynolds and Hugh Jackman, didn’t even make half of what Endgame did. However, the film’s humor and amazing crossover worked to revive fan spirits and renew interest in Marvel movies. 

But it doesn’t stop there. Fan energy has only increased as Marvel announced that none other than Robert Downey Jr. would return to the MCU to play Dr. Doom in Avengers: Doomsday, shocking fans worldwide. The film, scheduled for release in 2026, will no doubt boost Marvel’s ratings as the Avengers series continues. 

Numerous other projects will surely generate an increase in audience interest, despite circulating opinions that Marvel is on the downfall. So, contrary to popular belief, Endgame does not represent the end of the MCU, but rather the beginning of a new era for the franchise, complete with new films, projects, and even new characters and revivals of old ones.

Lauren McNulty is a freshman journalism major from Katy, TX. She loves writing, especially about fun and entertaining topics. As Managing Editor of her high school yearbook and Editor-in-Chief of the newspaper, she has experience covering topics such as sports, music, student life, and writing various profiles. She currently writes for the Aggieland Yearbook in addition to Her Campus. She is very excited to be writing for Her Campus because it gives her the opportunity to write about topics relevant and relatable to Gen-Z college students. Besides writing, she loves reading, spending time with friends, and endlessly scrolling on social media. She also loves listening to music and attending concerts – a few of her favorite artists include Taylor Swift, Melanie Martinez, and Noah Kahan. Still, her overall music taste is very broad. She looks forward to working with Her Campus to expand her writing abilities and allow her to share her work with an audience of like-minded people.