This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Recently, I moved my cat Lily into my apartment, and it has been an adventure. There were many ups and downs, and there still are, but I don’t regret the move. I thought I’d share my experiences of living with a cat to help others know what to expect and how to prepare because it is a battle of sorts.
So first, a little bit of background. I got Lily in the summer of 2020, so she is a Covid cat (with attachment issues). Since I was just starting college and had to live in a dorm, I couldn’t bring her with me during my freshman year, so she lived with my parents. During my sophomore and junior years, I lived in an apartment that didn’t allow pets, so I didn’t get to see Lily much either. I would see her on breaks and sometimes on the weekends and she was glued to me every time. Recently, I moved into an apartment that does allow pets, so I was able to have my Lily with me finally.
The first thing I did when I found out I could move in with Lily was tell my roommate. You have to consider your roommates’ thoughts because they’re going to be living with your pet too. Since I’ve known my roommate for three years, she was excited to live with Lily and have something to look after. After living arrangements were discussed, I started researching what the best options for a litter box would be. When living in an apartment you probably won’t have access to a laundry room where you can put your cat’s litter box, so I looked for something that would hide it and give Lily some privacy. I also made a checklist of things I would need to bring like her food, snacks, food and water dish, toys, collar, etc. I also made sure she had all of her vaccinations and tick medicine. Another thing I learned was having a reliable vet in the College Station/Bryan area is a must.
After making plans to move in, the most difficult part in my opinion was only beginning. When buying a cat carrier make sure it is sturdy and plastic, as I learned my cat does not like car rides and is prone to accidents. Before you leave, try to make sure your cat uses their litter box and give them calming snacks. As I learned the hard way, a worked-up kitty is more likely to have accidents, which leads to 2 hours of unhappy meowing. When you first arrive with your cat, you want to keep them in a room (I used a bathroom) that has their litter box and some food and water. It acts as a safe area and lets them become accustomed to their new environment. Once you have their area set up, open their cage. Allow them to stay there for a while as they are settling in and getting used to their new area. After I felt like Lily was done composing herself, I locked all the doors except the one to my bedroom, so she didn’t feel overwhelmed and let her out of the bathroom. She roamed around and stayed in my room for a bit and then I showed her where her litter box was because I was worried about accidents. Remember when living with a roommate your cat is your responsibility, meaning you clean up after them, make sure they stay healthy, and don’t annoy your roommate.
While everything seemed alright the first week, it quickly went downhill. Lily decided she got comfortable with my roommate and her new home, so she decided to let her crazy side out. She would run around at night, meowing loudly in the morning, and always complained like a drama queen. To solve these problems, I started dedicating 10 minutes each night to playing with her until she got bored. This tired her out and she went back to being peaceful, for the most part. Like dogs, cats get zoomies every so often and she just runs around the apartment. You should also be aware of them jumping onto furniture, such as desks and beds, and knocking things over. You should also purchase a lint roller and clean your apartment very often because there will be cat hair everywhere.
I didn’t know what to expect when I decided to have Lily at my apartment. I felt nervous and stressed, but I also felt excited and happy that I was finally going to have her with me. Through this journey, I realized that your pet is also your companion and will be there when you need them. It’s so comforting having her with me whenever I need to vent or just have someone to talk to. I will admit that I am still learning how to live with a cat, but everything is a learning experience, and I am glad to have her by my side during my senior year of college.

Chasey Christenson is a senior member of Her Campus at Texas A&M University. She covers the latest music trends, Korean drama recommendations, and the occasional book reviews. She hopes to raise awareness of topics that she is passionate about while being able to show her creative side. Outside of Her Campus she has worked at the VA office helping students continue their education at Texas A&M. Chasey has had a passion for writing ever since she was young and won the 2016 Great Lakes Anthology Award where she became a published author. She is currently a student at Texas A&M University majoring in psychology with dreams of becoming an Applied Behavior Analysis. In her free time, Chasey enjoys listening to music, reading books, writing short stories, watching Netflix, and going on the occasional walk with her friends. She is passionate about helping others and being a voice for those who go unnoticed or unappreciated.