Movie poster for \'Anyone But You\'
Movie poster for \'Anyone But You\'
Sony Pictures

A Romcom We Didn’t Know We Needed During the Month of Love 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Love is glistening through the air throughout February. Whether you’re celebrating with a partner or cherishing your love for friendships, what better way to spend your quality time than snuggling up to watch a cheesy romcom?  

Yes, that’s right, romcoms are back. We all know the classics, but thanks to Glen Powell and our too-hot-to-handle Sydney Sweeney, we have a new rom-com to fawn over and adore during this month of love.  

If you’ve been paying attention, you know that Anyone, but You is hot—and I don’t just mean the actors. From the laughs in the theaters to the viral sound and videos of Ben’s serenity song trending on TikTok, this movie seems to be loved and adored by everyone—and I mean everyone.  

When I first walked into the theaters in early January, I was expected to be greeted by girls my age, ready to watch Sydney and Glen’s chemistry hit center stage. Instead, I was greeted with a much older demographic. It seems that Anyone, but You was also a fan favorite by many grandparents.  

Anyone but You embodies a classic romcom, with Bea, played by Sydney Sweeney, and Ben, played by Glen Powell, meeting in a coffee shop. Ben comes to her rescue after overhearing that Bea would need to purchase a coffee to access the bathroom. Helping her out, he buys her some tea and gets the key- and it isn’t long before the whole theater is cackling as we watch Bea spray herself with the sink water and try to dry off via hand dryer.  

The plot begins to thicken after they spend a night together. As signals get crossed and emotions get stirred, months go past until they see each other again. When they do, they find themselves intertwined with the relationships around them. Ben’s best friend is marrying Bea’s sister, and they are both invited to the wedding.  

With a new hate for each other, they stay their distance…that is until Bea’s ex comes to town and Ben’s ex has a new man. Making a pact, they decide to pretend to see each other, of course with the goal of getting even with their exes. Through many ups and downs, twists, turns, and laughs, the two end up together.  

Overall, what sets this movie apart from other romcoms is the comedy and cinematography strategically incorporated throughout the film. From the actors to the perfectly timed lines, the goal of getting a laugh from their audience is greatly executed. But beyond that, the transition of scenes from quotes and signs strategically placed throughout the film adds a unique and artsy touch to the film. Nonetheless, this movie exceeded my expectations.  

While I am a huge fan of the classics like; How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days and 10 Things I Hate About You, the movie, Anyone, but You has won over my heart. The classic, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days shares the screen with our beloved rom-com couple Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson, making it hard not to fall in love with the film. However, one thing I believe the movie lacks is depth. I feel like How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days could have delved deeper into their storyline line.   

Now let me be clear, I am not saying Anyone, but You exceeded the classics, but it leaves high standards for the many modern romcoms that follow this outstandingly funny and steamy movie. The movie is not only strong in its storyline and cinematography but invites us to drool over another steamy rom-com couple. Sorry Hudson and McConaughey, but your iconic romcom duo might have just been replaced.  

If you’re looking for a new comfort movie or something to do during the month of love, make sure to check out Anyone, but You. While this movie first aired in December of 2023, its popularity in the movie theaters hasn’t seemed to dissipate and it seems the future of romcoms is looking bright.  

Hi, I am Angeni a Temple 25' media studies and production major and an opinion writer for Her Campus. I specifically love to write about health related topics and one day hope to host my own podcast. I have a huge heart for all furry animals-especially dogs. I also love to spend time outside hiking, and traveling!