Style > Fashion

Katniss Everdeen’s Top 5 Outfits Throughout the Hunger Games Trilogy 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

November 17th marked a day to be remembered by all, specifically all enthused and dedicated Hunger Games fans. The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes, a prequel to the trilogy, was recently released in theaters. The movie depicts the story of the 10th annual Hunger Games and features President Snow, the well-known antagonist in the trilogy, as a young 18-year-old boy and his relationship with a girl from District 12.  

Attached to the announcement of this movie is immense nostalgia for the original Hunger Games movie released in 2012, and the three that followed. Even now, I find myself obsessing over all aspects that these movies and books bring to the table. In particular, the outfits worn by Katniss Everdeen remain superior to most movies I have seen throughout my life. So, in honor of the new release, and maybe a selfish excuse to rewatch the Hunger Games movies, here are Katniss Everdeen’s top five looks throughout the movie series:  

#5: Catching Fire: Katniss’s Dress for the Capital Party  

The fierce and almost birdlike dress is so powerful that in the midst of all the fashion in the capital, this is still the outfit that stands apart. This look features Katniss as she attends a party at the Capitol celebrating her and Peeta’s engagement. To end the Victory Tour and start the second movie, this is one of Katniss’s first styled looks in Catching Fire. The subtle red color on her shoulders, earrings, and eye shadow creates a powerful look. Her hair is braided at the top and pulled away from her face while the rest of her long hair lays on her back.  

The shoulders have a sharp scissored almost feather-like covering outlined in red, that leads into a similar design at the top of her dress. The all-black, full-length, sleeveless dress is one of the simpler outfits that is worn by Katniss Everdeen, yet it has a stunning and captivating look. 

#4: Mockingjay Part 1: Rebellion Outfit 

I would be remiss if I didn’t include one Hunger Games look that embodies who Katniss Everdeen is in all its elements. This outfit is one she specifically wore in Mockingjay Part 1, but the all-black outfit is one that constantly shows up in the arena or when she is fighting.  

This is one of the franchise’s most iconic looks because there are three elements: The first is the simple all black outfit that I have already mentioned because its solid color and material invites us to focus on Katniss herself and when she fights. The second element of this outfit is the side braid that is too familiar to viewers. This side braid has been with us since the beginning. It is something that is true to Katniss herself and her original hairstyle that stays with us even to the end. Speaking of something that is true to Katniss, the bow and arrows she carries on her back are something that makes Katniss, Katniss. The bow and arrow, both forming the third element, are attached to Katniss’ name and character. Overall, this look is sophisticated and powerful and shows Katniss as a fighter, leader, and symbol of hope.  

#3: The Hunger Games: Chariot Outfit 

When I saw this outfit for the first time, I have to say that my whole life was altered… for the better. Only Cinna, Katniss’s costume designer, could take a coal mining district and create arguably one of the most jaw-dropping looks to ever exist. This “girl on fire” outfit impressed not only the whole Capitol but the audience watching it through the screen. The goal was to create an unforgettable look and to say they accomplished this would be an understatement. 

The black fitted zip-up jacket, and pants with an almost scale-like fabric that makes it shimmer combined with her twisted braided hair and black eyeliner already capture your attention. And then add the “hottest” element of all: flames that flow outwardly from Katniss and don’t stop until she is finished parading around the Capitol. This outfit screams confidence, bravery, and ferocity, and a District 12 to not be messed with.  

#2: Catching Fire: Chariot Outfit 

And if the “girl on fire” outfit could not get any better, Catching Fire turns everything upside down and exceeds all expectations. Katniss’ hair is styled half up half down, and all of it is curled. The makeup is still subtle but has hints of a gold design on the eyelids.   

The dress is something of its own that stuns me every time I see it. It is styled like a y-shaped design at the top that is more flowy down towards the bottom. Before Katniss becomes the girl on fire again, the dress’ material is originally dark, similar to the Chariot parade dress in the first movie. However, once the button is pressed, the dress bursts into flames in the most beautiful way. The bright orange flame flares and bits of it spark as the chariot moves down the path.  Again, this dress reestablished that District 12 is not a force to be reckoned with and made everyone jealous while watching this take place on screen. 

#1: Catching Fire: Wedding Dress/ Mockingjay Dress  

I had to end with this outfit because I’d argue it is a masterpiece, I will never be able to get over for as long as I live. This outfit is what confirms the rebellion and uprising of the districts publicly. The wedding dress is a unique combination of fluff and feathers that surround Katniss. It is full of intricate designs including sparkly silver in the midst of the white dress. As Katniss spins around, the outfit only gets better. Katniss turns into this beautiful Mockingjay, and as she raises her arms, her wings outstretch with colors of black, navy blue, and light bright blue embedded in each of the feathers and cuts. These two breathtaking combinations create an outfit that will go down in history. The enchanting twist of a princess-like wedding dress to a sophisticated Mockingjay is something I will never forget.   

Katniss Everdeen’s personality is showcased through each one of these looks. The outfits she wears throughout the movies depict her as powerful, independent, brave, and breathtaking, only a few of the many traits she embodies as a character. The costumes I would picture in my head while reading the books don’t come close to what I saw on screen for the first time. I can only say that The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes has some high stakes to reach, particularly in their costume design department. However, from the glances watching the trailer and seeing Lucy Gray Baird’s enchanting colorful ruffled long-sleeved dress, I have a feeling that this will be another movie with fashion design that will leave me in awe. 

I am a freshman English Major at Temple. I enjoy writing, and currently write for the Fashion and Beauty section of Her Campus Temple. In my free time I love to read, listen to music (love Taylor Swift:), and hike!