Why is exercise important?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

With only a few free periods of YOU time during the day, spending them working out would be a total bummer. Sound familiar? Well, ladies, you must be willing to set aside a little bit of time for  exercise to get those fantastic health benefits that come with it. 

“You feel relaxed and happier,” Accounting/Finance major Libingwan Cao says. “Your body feels more at ease.”

Plus, let’s be real – you totally want that hot beach body you’ve been working on all summer to stay in top-notch condition, right?

“It’s important to be healthy in general and look good,” Biology/Sociology major Melissa Lester says. “Your clothes fit better when you exercise more.”

Remember, you don’t necessarily need to go to the gym for exercise. You can fit in some killer cardio other ways. And, trust us, these alternatives can be simple and fun.

1.      Ride your bike. At least two to three times a week, bike to school instead of cramming on the L waiting for the next train to arrive. Plug in those headphones and jam out to that hot new artist and you won’t even realize you’re burning tons of calories.

2.      Walk. Um, seriously, this is the easiest exercise ever. Desperate to get over to Urban Outfitters before the big party? Take a hike – no, literally. You’ll be toning your legs so you can fit into those skinny jeans even better.

3.      Take the stairs. If your class is on the 2nd or 3rd floor, there’s no need to use the elevator. And who knows… you may even “accidently” bump into that cutie who has class during the same time.

Ladies,  next time you’re in Anderson waiting in that ungodly long line, just remember that taking the stairs will be more beneficial than having to stand amongst a crowd of students. P.S., have you seen Jillian Michaels? If that’s not motivation, I don’t know what is.

Jaimee Swift is a Senior majoring in Communications. One of her many dreams is to become a broadcast journalist and to meet and work with the infamous Anderson Cooper. Her hobbies include reading everything in sight, running, dancing crazily, laughing uber hard, watching movies, and consuming as much juice as possible. Jaimee is so overjoyed to be a part of such a magnificent site such as Her Campus Temple University. Ever since the days of her youth, she has strives to make a difference and bring positive change to all that she touches. She still holds on to that mindset and hopes to bring positivity and creativity to Her Campus Temple University!