Art-Official Intelligence: Black Art At UConn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

As Black History Month comes to an end, I would like to highlight one of the great events that occurred this month. DesignedBlack, a collective of “Black digital creatives” here at UConn, put together this exhibit, debuting this past Thursday. The club was reinstated last semester after being disbanded for a couple of years. I had the pleasure of walking around the collection and learning a little bit about the artists.

The Art

Mercer Ferguson, UConn Class of ’27

The exhibit was a collection of photographs, drawings, paintings, and videos from different shoots and events including the UCONNIC Music Festival and the Black UConn Collective. All work was from different members of DesignedBlack. One of my favorite photos was taken by Mercer Ferguson (’27) at the recent C.R.O.W.N Day held at the Werth Tower Forum, where students received free hair services. Despite describing themselves as an amateur photographer on the page Broke Cupid, Mercer skillfully captured the process of retwisting loc along with the weight, responsibility, and importance of natural hair.

Lizamishel Boateng, UConn Class of ’25

“Captured the black community on Campus” naturally.

Lizamishel, DesignedBlk

Who’s Behind the work

I spoke with the president of DesignedBlack, Lizamishel, about the collection and some of her personal work. She says that with the rebooting of the club, there were two main goals: put out a magazine and create an art gallery. The completion of this exhibit was a big step toward solidifying the purpose of the collective. I asked Liza about her choice of her featured pieces, one, above, from a shoot by the Black UConn Collective and the other a part of her personal collection, the Paloma Portfolio. When asked about the Husky vintage photo, Boateng states that it “felt rich and natural” and that it “captured the Black community on campus.” I had the pleasure of working with Liza on this project as a model. As a Freshman, it was encouraging and reassuring to see the Black community come together. I am grateful for all the different groups that highlight different parts of Black culture and identity.

What is to Come

The Art Official Intelligence exhibit was a perfect introduction to DesginedBlack and I look forward to future projects, especially the magazine!

Cianna is a sophomore from South Shore Massachusetts. She is an ACES major with an interest in sports management and media. When she is not writing or working for the women's basketball team, Cianna enjoys crocheting, listening to audiobooks, and hanging with her friends. Cianna is passionate about equity and inclusion in sports, community engagement, and social justice.